Another Spagnuolo Knockoff

Eric.

Thanks man.  It's a long, boring story, but the short version is that I found exactly two sheets of ply that had that killer rift-sawn grain and I had originally planned to use it for the entire piece.  But because of a fairly severe defect that I had missed initially, I was unable to use the remaining two pieces for the doors.  So I had to go back and buy a third sheet that was from the same batch as the other two but had lost that perfect straight grain.  I thought the pattern was cool looking so I went for it.

Really nice work Eric - the walnut is great and I love that lower trim detail mirroring the upper panel angle and it looks like it is floating off the floor.

I haven't spotted the goof yet even though you described it - it looks great to me. But one thing that you haven't done is sign it with your feet photo. I can't be an "Eric" without that famous foot shot.

Really nice work Eric - the walnut is great and I love that lower trim detail mirroring the upper panel angle and it looks like it is floating off the floor.

I haven't spotted the goof yet even though you described it - it looks great to me. But one thing that you haven't done is sign it with your feet photo. I can't be an "Eric" without that famous foot shot.

Thanks man, but I can't take any credit for the design...it was a straight copy of Marc's, including the angled trim pieces on the shelves.  The only design change I made was adding the inlaid wenge track.

Looks great Eric! You didn't tell the wife "for a project this big I'm going to need an HVLP?"

:D  Doh!  Missed opportunity!

Honestly I probably wouldn't have sprayed this piece anyway since I'm such a big fan of A-R-S on walnut.  Tough to beat.  Not sure water-based would pull out the richness in the same way.  I want HVLP mostly to spray WB on blonde woods, and to experiment with lacquer since that's missing from my skill set.  HVLP is coming...right after the lathe. :)

Looks great as usual, as does all of your work. If you didn't mention the screw up, I'd have never noticed. Hell, I had to stare at it for a good five minutes knowing there was one to even find it. 

Well I'm not sure what screw-up you spotted because after looking back at the pics, you can't really see the one I was referring to because of the glare from the TV.  What happened was I just barely burned through the veneer on the top...about a half-dollar sized spot.  It wasn't entirely my fault because it was a defect in the ply that caused it...a high spot presumably caused by some kind of booger in between the ply and veneer...but there's no one else to blame so I blame myself.

I got some brown markers and did my best to camo that area, and it worked fairly well to get the color back to acceptable.  But it's still kind of a shiny area where the open grain of the walnut was lost.  Like I said, no one else will notice it.  My FIL helped me carry it inside last night and I challenged him to find it...told him there was a terrible ugly spot and wanted him to point it out.  He looked at it for ten minutes and gave up.  But every time I walk by it, my eyes go straight there.  For the rest of my life. <_<

What were you seeing?  I'm curious and want you to tell me...seriously...

:D  Doh!  Missed opportunity!

Honestly I probably wouldn't have sprayed this piece anyway since I'm such a big fan of A-R-S on walnut.  Tough to beat.  Not sure water-based would pull out the richness in the same way.  I want HVLP mostly to spray WB on blonde woods, and to experiment with lacquer since that's missing from my skill set.  HVLP is coming...right after the lathe. :)

Eric I'm totally with you as waterborne straight on walnut is cold looking. As a long-time Waterlox (similar to ARS) user the warmth it gives to walnut and cherry can't be beat. One thing I want to do is several walnut test boards using different techniques and here are some of my ideas:

1. I've actually tried this and know it sounds wrong, but I put a weak mix of American Walnut water-based dye, then SealCoat shellac, then water-based poly and it gave depth and warmth to the walnut. The dye seemed to give the ambering that oil would have.

2. Dark shellac following by water-based poly. Haven't tried this yet.

3. Waterlox (maybe thinned with MS) followed by water-based poly after a few days to dry. Probably also try shellac in the middle here. I don't like BLO on walnut and cherry as it muddies the grain IMO.