Hearing Protection

ChrisG-Canada

I'm looking for some hearing protection advice...

Needs:

25-30 dB noise reduction

Over the ear muffs and headband

Fit comfortably on a large head

Wants:

Noise cancellation

Bluetooth

This willbe for my garage/shop so I'm not worried about meeting industrial certifications, etc. As I mentioned I do have a large head and find that many headphones fit too tight. I also hate in-ear headphones or plugs - I find the pressure gets uncomfortable within 1 minute. I've tried many different kinds and hate them all.

I do own Bose Noise Cancelling headphones (over ear model) and find they work great but I'd rather not use them in my shop - hoping for alternative a bit cheaper.

I have a couple pairs that came with my Stihl chainsaws when I bought them.  They're comfortable and tough and I use them most of the time.  When I have to use something for extended periods I throw on the 3M WorkTunes and listen to the crap that's on the radio.  Silence is almost better.

This won't help with music, but Harbor Freight carries a pretty good ear muff for about $7. Very comfortable, wide size adjustment range, and seems to block as much noise as any other passive protection I've used.

Those aren't bad.  I keep a couple of pairs of them around in case my brother/nephew/etc is around and helping out or we're working on something together.  For myself, I use the ones from Marc's video linked above and really like them.

I always have foamies in my pocket.  I buy these. http://www.baileysonline.com/Safety-First-Aid/Hearing-Protection/Plugs/Classic-Ear-Plugs-box-of-200.axd They never come out of jeans pockets unless they are in my ears. Most of the time, they are still in the pocket, and clean, after the jeans come out of the washer and dryer.

• Like 1

You mentioned 'no in-ear'.  Just to verify, that includes the polymer earplugs whereby they inject the goop into your ear canal, it sets up, and it's a perfect fit?  Plus they come with Bluetooth...

I use em - fantastic - particularly when firing 7.62x39  :)

If you haven't considered these, the company(s) will make their rounds at firing ranges  - spending a Saturday there.. doing 20-30 folks.

• 2 weeks later...

This doesn't help in terms of bluetooth, but I just purchased a pair of these on amazon and am thrilled with their performance. I too have always had problems with in ear plugs or headphones or what not as they always tend to leave my ears sore after about a half an hour. As a result, I have worn earmuffs for years and just ignored the fact that they don't work well with goggles, both in terms of putting pressure on my temples and not having a good seal. I can wear these plugs for 8 consecutive hours and forget that they are even in my ears, all the while allowing my goggles to sit comfortably on my ears. This was a good solution for me with regards to hearing protection but obviusly doesn't allow for music playback. You win some, you lose some I guess.

http://www.amazon.ca/Surefire-Sonic-Defender-1-Pair-Medium/dp/B004DH65RI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424664049&sr=8-1&keywords=surefire+4

I like to play music from my iPhone into my hearing protection.  It's not so much that I want music, but that way I can hear if I get a phone call, text, etc.  I don't like to be out of communication for too long, in case there's an emergency.  I'm looking into technology to send an alert to my iPhone when someone rings the front door bell.  That way I can happily wear my hearing protection for hours without worrying I'll miss something important.