Hearing Protection

ChrisG-Canada

I have several different types of over the ear hearing protection and I don't use any of them.  I find them to be uncomfortable, bulky, hot, they interfere with my eye protection and none of them work exceptionally well.   I tried the Ryobi Tek4 noise canceling headphones but I don't like how they work.  They do allow you to talk with someone else in the shop assuming that they are wearing the same type of ear protection.

I am using a set of Shure SE215 sound isolating in-ear headphones exclusively now.  These are the same pair that I use to block out the drone of engine noise, screaming kids and annoying in flight announcements during my air travel.   You can buy them online for $99 and in my opinion they are worth every penny.   They are more comfortable, isolate more shop noise, they are much cooler and they don't interfere with my eye protection.    

If you want to listen to music while woodworking there is no better choice in my opinion.   Even if you don't like listening to music they are quite good.