Taller vase

Bombarde16

Very cool.  Did you relocate permanently?  Weren't you in Highland Park and then one of the Carolinas?  I take it from your posts you are working out of mostly borrowed space.  

Very cool.  Did you relocate permanently?  Weren't you in Highland Park and then one of the Carolinas?  I take it from your posts you are working out of mostly borrowed space.  

Yes and thanks for asking.  I'm in a transition right now and am located in Pennsylvania.

What would you differently

A few things jump out that could be better.

• I made this with whatever scraps I could scrounge out of the garbage.  There are two layers of 1/4" cherry that look frankly ridiculous.  An entire vase made out of 1/4" layers would be fine, but these are out of place.
  • I'd give myself more of a margin when ripping the pieces to size.  I followed my drawing as closely as possible, but there's always some variation in the real world.  This was fine when turning the insides.  Then when it came time to turn the outside, I had to strike a balancing act:
    • Turn away all of the flats (I can still see a few spots)
    • Get a consistent wall thickness (I ended up getting as thin as 3/16" in spots in order to...)
    • Get a pleasing curve for the outside profile (Still not happy there but it's good enough)

For all that, there are a lot of things that I like.  I'm happy that I have the pieces overlapped off center.  The negative spaces between the pieces therefore don't line up, but rather twist in a spiral as you go up layer by layer.  This meant that I didn't have to fuss about getting the gaps to line up with the layer two layers below.  That, plus the overall chaos of using six different woods made it a very low-pressure in the design.

That's killer, Rob.  Well done.  I'm gonna buy a box of diapers and try that eventually.

Honestly, it looks crazier than it is and you can probably dispense with the diapers.  Avoiding a catch when hollowing is a matter of technique, specifically the awareness of a.) where on the edge the gouge is cutting and b.) where the gouge is supported on the rest.  Once you have that down, hollowing a segmented form is no different from hollowing anything else.  If you're still not 100% sure on that, brace yourself to get kicked around no matter what you're working.  I have one of the fancy hollowing tools with a flat shaft and a replaceable carbide cutter, but I only use it for very tight inside corners.  i.e. the transition from the wall to the bottom.  95% of the work on the inside was done with cheap Chinese steel from Harbor Freight.

Next I'd like to try blending segmented and solid forms.  Imagine two bowls split from the same log, then stuck together to form a vase with a layer of segments in between.  Once hiking weather is back, I'll see if I can find a suitable log for that.

• 2 weeks later...