Stump and Slab side tables

Mrankin

Hi there. I'm working with an oak slab aprox 4in thick & 47in around and a piece of camphor approx 9in thick and 58 inches around. Both have dried out for a little over a year. I've leveled and sanded them down and I'm using Formbys tung oil finish on them.

A few questions.  

1)  Is there an optimal amount of coats to apply? Possible to put too many?

2) Would you recommend applying a single coat of low gloss poly after the tung oil had dried?

3) Do you recommend applying tung oil finish to the bottom of the stump/slab? I was under the impression that it needed breathe and should leave the bottom alone.  Yes? No? Depend on the wood? 

4) Any opinions on drying times for pieces of wood like these? Any good websites that give a appropriate time frame for drying certain woods? 

5) If I were to use BLO on these pieces, is that something that would need to be reapplied once a year? Would poly be a good choice to place over BLO?

Thanks for any advice/info, and apologies if I'm repeating questions that have been addressed.

Respectfully,

-Matt

The rule of thumb I always see for air drying boards is 1 year per inch of thickness. Very thick slabs would likely require even more time to fully stabilize. Gunstock makers use blanks that are a little over two inches thick, and generally won't touch one until it has been drying for 7 to 10 years. No one wants their rifle stock to crack.

• Like 1

Thanks a million for all the insights.  My tung oil finish looks a little smeared on both pieces. I think it's because I sanded with a 400 grit before applying the finish when I should have applied after a 150 grit. Live & learn. Any idea if its advisable to resand thru the finish and begin again with a 150 grit and reapply tung oil finish?

Many thanks!

-Matt