What exotics do you like?

estesbubba

Coop, I have some pieces of Texas Privet cut from an abandoned home place next to my place. Trunks maybe 60-70 years old, still only 6" diameter. Not quite as white as holly, stuff is so fine grained that it looks like antique ivory, and works like it, too! Great for knife scales and other small items. Maybe stringing, but never tried that.

• Like 1

I don't find zebrawood that troublesome aside from the dirty wet dog smell.  Wenge is a nightmare to work with but beautiful in small doses...a great accent wood.  My favorite is probably bubinga aside from mahogany, which I can't decide whether or not it's technically exotic.  Honduran is beautiful and a dream to work with...nothing like that African stringiness.  Better color, too.  Apples and oranges really...I'm not sure why they ever tagged that stuff with "mahogany."

Padauk is pretty when it's fresh off the planer but it can't really be used if sun will ever touch it, so that kind of kills its usefulness.

Lacewood and leopardwood are cool looking and fairly agreeable to work with.  I'm not that wild about purpleheart, yellowheart, redheart...except used sparingly for a good reason.  They're basically boring except for the specific color.

The exotics I'd really love to use are too expensive...rosewoods and koas.

Lately I've just been on a walnut kick.  Ol' reliable.

cocobolo, hands down.

Brazilian tulipwood

most of the ones mentioned already. Yellowheart because it holds the yellow color.

LOVE padauk and redheart both both are useless due to color fade

Osage orange is gorgeous but color change is among the most dramatic there is (see the pic at the top of my osage orange page)

lacewood, leopardwood, silky oak, curly koa, bocote (but it can turn VERY dark w/ age)

lots of others.

Hell, I love'm all