Couple of tables on which to eat, one on which to set your stuff

Willin

In the breakfast nook, we chose to do one that is a full 42" bar-height.  It is like those seen in some of the Amish furniture sites, and it looks as if the Amish did a riff on some stuff by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, the great arts and crafts era architect, painter, and furniture designer.

It is ash, died black, then sealed with GF's Seal-A-Cell, then glazed with GF's gel stain in black, and finished with half a dozen coats of GF Arm-R-Seal.  Everything wiped.

The dining table is a copy of what Stickley calls their Highlands table, with a 51" pedestal base, its top with boards running side to side, 44 x 78 closed.  Two leaves store in the table pocket.  Equalizer slides, steel, from Moin Hardware.  Extends out to 114" with its two leaves.  Cherry, sealed with 1:7 Elmers for blotch control, dyed brown-red, then sealed, then clearcoated.  All GF stuff as above, all wiped.

The cocktail table is a copy of the Stickley mission square tile-topper.  Legs are not quartered like is done with a Morris chair.  I skinned the edge grain with QS slices at 3/32" thickness.   Tile from Clay Squared To Infinity, Minneapolis.  This was done in the Jeff Jewitt program for mimicing the Stickley "Onandaga" finish.  Red-brown dye, then seal, then glaze with GF Georgian Cherry, then half a dozen coats of Arm-R-Seal.

post-16259-0-26464100-1423791685_thumb.j

post-16259-0-40349800-1423792023_thumb.j

post-16259-0-14666800-1423792044_thumb.j

• Like 1

No for any of the chairs at the tables.  Ethan Allen at the tall table, and Stickley at the dining table.  There are two bow-armed Morris chairs that are along one side of the cocktail table, though, that I made, and will present here when the cushions are done and installed.

Nice Job Willin!! I'm getting ready to make backless bar stools for our 46" bar counter from ash. The 'boss' wants black mixed with "a nice brown" so I plan on dyeing the legs, and maybe the rails, black and trying to get the seat, and maybe rails..., "a nice brown". Thanks for posting your process on dyeing the ash. Any particular lessons learned in your process?

-jason

The nook table was the first thing I did with my new-used Festool domino.  Here is a view of the base of the table, and the picket parts after cutting the mortises in the ends.  I made a jig for doing the 4mm plunges into the ends of the 3/4 squares.

The finish sequence is just a riff on what Jeff Jewitt has had out there forever for Stickley knock-off looks.  Dye first, then seal, then glaze, then clearcoat.  All using GF products, all wiped on with rags.  For me, it is just a better look than just plain paint, because there is a little variegation.

post-16259-0-25932800-1424325705_thumb.j

post-16259-0-52490000-1424325834_thumb.j