Handsaw procurement options?

matthew-s

Great spot!!  The Hobie 17 Worlds were sailed off Maui sometime in the late '80s.  Deane Froome from Oahu bought a small bunch of boats and needed them sailed back to Oahu.  It was the most memorable sailing day I've ever had.  We left Lahaina at about 11 in the morning, stopped in one of the few coves with a beach on the North Shore of Molokai to eat lunch, and sailed into Kaiiua Bay right as the sun was setting on the other side of Oahu.  We sailed something like 85 miles flat out hauling ass the whole way.

It was one of those days where you look back and all you see is a BIG wave with the boat wake on it.  We met a large pod of Dolphins like two airliners passing in the sky.  Not too many minutes later they were all around us riding the boat waves.  The largest male would pull out below, come out at the top of the wave I was on, and slide down the wave (they were probably 15 feet with trades cranking), and go back under the boat until he needed to come up for air again.  They stayed with us for probably 15 minutes.  We were hauling ass, but it was a fun game for them.  There were females with small babies staying right with them.  In the water they looked brown with white spots.

As we pulled into Kailua Bay, there were radiating rays from the sun setting up in the sky over Oahu.  As you know Kailua Bay is right next to Kaneohe.  It's a gorgeous spot.  I'd probably live out there too if I didn't have so many family obligations here.

I'd consider that a good price.  I've seen them go for 200 and 250 for NOS crosscuts.  Not many of those rip saws show up.  I paid about that much for one.  I'm not sure when they stopped making them, but I did buy a couple of new ones in the early '70s.  I have 8 or 10 NOS still in the sleeve like that one bought in the last few years.  12 pt. are hardest to find, but least useful in my book.  I only have one of them.  I use 8 and 10 pt. a lot.

All mine are users.  I don't think anyone collects these.  The handles are plywood.  Most collectors probably collect saws because of the way the handle looks.  I don't look at the handle when I'm cutting something with one, but they are plenty comfortable enough.  I keep Sandvik hand saws in my interest list on ebay, so they show up whenever one is listed.  Mostly, I'm just curious these days since my saw boxes are full.  There is one 4-1/2-5-1/2 pt rip saw on there now that interests me, but not for $160 for a used one.

For those NOS ones, put 3.36 on it and it will stay looking new even being used.  I recoat mine after each day used, and all mine in the sleeves still look like new.

I used mine like that yesterday in 10/4 White Oak cutting ears on a replacement window sill for any old house.  This was one of the NOS ones that I hadn't touched.  It was like it was melting right down through the wood.

I would like to find a 24" crosscut before I leave. Tom if you come across any on Ebay and feel free to post  :D if it's not to much trouble.

I've never seen a 24" Sandvik crosscut.  I was always curious why these rip saws were 24".  Just guessing, it probably had to do with the steel coil that the saws came out of.  The rip saws are a bit harder than their crosscut saws, hence maybe the difference.  I've only seen the crosscuts in 26" and 20".  I never really liked 20", so only bought one of them to carry in the toolbox on the truck, but they do come up once in a while.  The only 20" ones I've seen were 10 pt.   10 pt. is not a bad all around crosscut to have.

I don't really need any more, since my new saw box is full, so I'll let you know when I see something.

I've never seen a 24" Sandvik crosscut.  I was always curious why these rip saws were 24".  Just guessing, it probably had to do with the steel coil that the saws came out of.  The rip saws are a bit harder than their crosscut saws, hence maybe the difference.  I've only seen the crosscuts in 26" and 20".  I never really liked 20", so only bought one of them to carry in the toolbox on the truck, but they do come up once in a while.  The only 20" ones I've seen were 10 pt.   10 pt. is not a bad all around crosscut to have.

I don't really need any more, since my new saw box is full, so I'll let you know when I see something.

I did not know that Sandvik did not make a 24" crosscut saw. 20" is really shorter than I would like. I have a 26" Disston no 16 but it feels like the length is just a little too long, that's part of the reason I jumped on the 24" rip saw. 

James, glad to hear yours came shipped ok. In August I bought another Stanley #80 on eBay. It was in mint condition with the original box. I already had two but wanted this one because of the condition and the BOX, just for a collector. I won the bid and paid for it. The idiot, instead of putting it in another box with proper wrapping, warped the thing in brown paper, with the scrapper in the orig. box. When it got here, the box was in shreds. I bitched to the seller and he/she offered to refund $5 of the $28. I figured I still got a good deal and told them to get .......