New member/new to me saw project

Coastyboy

Good morning peoples, new member just a few moments ago. After 15 years without a table saw, I have just purchased an old Craftsman cabinet saw off of Craigslist. It was 200.00 which was more than I wanted to pay, but it is complete with very little visible wear, even the bearings are tight as well as the lead screws for tilt and raise/lower. Only a 1hp motor but, that will be upgraded as soon as possible. I ordered the Vega Pro 50 since I could not seem to find a Biesemeyer for a reasonable price, I had this very same saw 20 years ago and went through it completely having new lead screws made, a bronze bushing placed in the arbor arm to tighten up the tolerances, top reground, cast iron pulleys and a 3hp motor and of course sandblasted and painted with new hand wheels. I lost the saw due to a landlord backin out on a deal with a handshake (dummy me). That saw had a Biesemeyer fence and I made my own rails so I could cut 100" to the right of the blade if I need to cut 10' sheets of plywood. Oh, I did speed the rpm up on the saw to I believe 4200 rpm which I'm sure will concern some, but used the saw like that for many years and cut much lumber in that time. I also had a double row bearing place in the arbor on the blade side to help keep things going. Do some of you have the Vega fence system and how do you like it? I have no choice to like it since mine will be here Monday.Tried to upload pics but file were too big

1 - Welcome to the forum!

2 - $200.... I'm sorry......JUST KIDDING....$200 isn't terrible for one that's in good shape

3 - No Vega but I had a Craftsman saw  and put an Incra Fence System on it...made it look really good

Again...WELCOME!!!

Yea, I offered him less but he said no way, it was a young man selling his grandfathers tools. i did get a fair amount of Jorgenson 3/4" pipe clamps for 40.00, so that helped alittle on the price :)

I have a craftsman contractor saw with cast iron wings that I bought new almost 25 years ago and love it. I put the 50" Vegas fence last year and I think its great. I too wanted the biesemeyer but the price difference caught my eye. The only problem I have is that with the longer fence I built a table extention. Now the saw wants to tip over so I have braced it temporarily (for almost a year) and now I'm in the process of building a nice cabinet for the saw and running a 220V line in the shop for the table saw and band saw.

my ​fence came in today, but too cold out there in the garage for me. I haven't really checked any alignment yet so, maybe next week I can get to work on the saw as its supposed to get in the 30's later in the week. Does anyone know what the wire piece (1/8" dia., looped end) is on the back of the saw in front of the motor is? I see where the belt guard is supposed to be but, this is different. Also, is there a riving knife made for these saws? 

Also, is there a riving knife made for these saws? 

Check out the MicroJig MJ Splitter SteelPRO ($40 and you can get it at any Woodcraft).  I was considering the BORK, but it is just too expensive for something that I would have to bolt on and off whenever I needed to switch cut styles.  This splitter works well and it is easily removed.

Check out the MicroJig MJ Splitter SteelPRO ($40 and you can get it at any Woodcraft).  I was considering the BORK, but it is just too expensive for something that I would have to bolt on and off whenever I needed to switch cut styles.  This splitter works well and it is easily removed.

Thanks, but I will make my own if I decide to even have one. I didn't need one for years at my shop, not quite sure about needing one now. 

well today I cleaned up the top with a wire wheel first, then 220 grit on the 5" orbital, then scotch brite pad on the same sander. No rust to speak of but he had a few spots of wood glue on the top and it was dark. I installed the Vega which took maybe an hour including drilling and tapping two of the 1/4"  to 5/16". The fence is nice overall but, their QC could be a little better as there were numerous burrs left behind where holes were drilled and machining was done. There were metal chips inside the fence tubing too but, it glides along nicely. Now I have to make an extension table for it. I took the belts off the motor/arbor and found that the bearing is a bit loose, didn't think it was but, with the belts on it's hard to tell. New bearing will have to come next.    20150221_163721_zpsrzwn3nef.jpg