Jet 10-20 Plus Drum Sander

ResidentEvil

So there is someone who has been trying to sell this sander for a while now on my local CL.  He wants $400 for it.  It has the stand and "some sandpaper refills" also.  From the pictures it seems like its had pretty light wear.  I definitely wouldn't go over $350 for the sander, so assume that is what I would pay from here on out.

I know that these aren't the best, and I really want a supermax 19-38.  But realistically, I'm not going to be able to get one of those for a year plus.  The wife and I have a "pay stuff off" new years resolution and until we do so, no really big tool purchases.

So I'm a bit torn on what to do:

1.  Dont spend the money, save the $300-$350 that I would have paid for this and put it towards a bigger unit.

2.  Buy it, it sets me back a while on getting the supermax, but I can also be more efficient when end grain drink coasters, cutting boards, some picture frames, etc.  Potentially allowing me to make more stuff to sell to put more money away to get a supermax.

I'm pretty torn about which direction I should go.

One option is building a drumsander probably not that attractive for most people I built one and my inspiration was this from woodgears.ca http://woodgears.ca/sander/thickness.htmlbut I came up with a variation with my lathe as the drive here is the link to my now have a jet 16/32 only because I wanted my lathe back, well if your read the link you'll get the whole story. I really like the 16/32 it's a great machine the one your talking about sounds a little small.

I have used the 10-20, the 16-32 and the 22-44. Depending on your need the 10-20 can be a great machine. If I were a box maker, the 10-20 would be excellent. The 16-32 is about one inch too narrow for my liking because a standard door in Australia is 820 mm wide, (32.3 inches) and you are left with a raised section on the rails. The 22-44 covers things easily and also has an oscillating function.

If you need wider than the 10-20 can give you then wait for your funds to increase but if 10-20 inches is ok, grab it. It is a solid little machine.

Thanks everyone for the advice.  After thinking it through, I think I'm going to wait it out until I can afford to get just what I want.  I tend to be really impulsive, so it was a good idea to get your alls input before I went and spent the money.

Do the supermax units ever go on sale?  Like I've heard that Powermatic will have a X% off sale once or twice a year, do these sanders ever do the same?  Like with the Jet clamp sales this Christmas, if I think there will be a sale I can plan out savings and maybe hit it at the right time.