General 8" jointer

rodger.

It is painfully obvious to me that my jointer just wont cut it much longer for me.  I have a 6" delta, and it has served me well for years.  With my new build, I would have really enjoyed an 8" model.

I am kind of limited in what I can buy, due to availability and shipping costs. 

I am looking at general, and the seem well built.  Does anyone have an 8" general jointer that can comment?  I dont have a specific model in mind yet, it just needs to be 8" cutter.

Looking at the general website, it appears that all the jointers are the "international" variety. I'll dig a bit deeper.

The devil is in the details. For example the General 12" uses the same rack and pinion type fence as the Powermatic but the Grizzly uses the same poor fence as the smaller machines. Open up the manuals and look at the details if you can't get your hands on the individual machines. The 8" may be identical to the the Grizzly but you will have to take a look.

No experience with that jointer but doesn't it seem that 75% of boards are between 6 and 8 inches? Those 2" made a big difference as well as the longer tables.

AMEN.. cuTting boards, small boxes, picture frames I was good with the 6". Now I'm coming into bigger building and nicer wood that I can't run across my jointer. .

I'm gunna call Frank Howarth and see if I can borrow his monster red jointer

I called a distributer for General Tools, and apparatly no general tools are made in canada anymore.  All are made overseas under the "international" placard.

Thinking about this jointer - its available locally for a 70 dollar delivery into my shop.

http://www.general.ca/products/1_general/80_jointer/80-200.html

Current pricing is 2100 for straight knives, and 2700 for Helical Head

I called a distributer for General Tools, and apparatly no general tools are made in canada anymore.  All are made overseas under the "international" placard.

Thinking about this jointer - its available locally for a 70 dollar delivery into my shop.

http://www.general.ca/products/1_general/80_jointer/80-200.html

Current pricing is 2100 for straight knives, and 2700 for Helical Head   thats a nice jointer, real nice and heavy too

There's a used 8" general (no intn'l) on CL near me. I'm sure the price is fair ($1200) but that's about double what I'm budgeting for at the moment. sure is tempting to just jump at that bigger size tho (insert tim tool man tailor grunt here)