Which festool sandpaper?

rodger.

I've got a mix of different sandpaper. I've got some Granat, a box of Rubin, a box of White Rhino, and 5 boxes of Klingspor. They all work really well, I haven't had any of the paper give me any problems. I haven't used Brilliant paper.  As far as value goes, klingspor is the best bang for the buck I feel. 

• Like 1

My Festool salesman said lots of his shops are switching to Granat for bare wood and finishes. The 120 and 150 work well for me and last longer than the Rubin. Granat does cost more but it lasts and doesn't load up easily either.

Is there a definitive way to tell when a disc is cooked? Obviously when it doesn't cut as well as it used to, but is there a visual way to tell? I always second guess myself when using a disc for a while. I sometimes take the disc off of the sander, whack it on the bench, and then continue to use it. Bad idea?

Disc starts loosing abrasive in patches, toss it. I frequently will run a crepe rubber block over abrasives when I'm sanding pine or resinous sappy woods, so clean any way you like.

Depending on the grit I will mark a surface lightly with a pencil and see how quick it sands completely gone with a new disc, when its approaching double or triple that time I grab a new disc. If I am low on discs I will stretch the use out longer.

I often save a pile of used discs and employ them as sacrificial if I have something that may shred discs or load them up (like paint or an old finish.)

• Like 1