Anyone have the Super Dust Deputy clog?

Jeff Ellis

I attached a Super Dust Deputy to a single-phase collection system to reduce strain on the filter and use of cumbersome bags for my collector.  But I have noticed that the Deputy is clogging quite often and not have the waste product go into the barrel it is connected to.  Instead, it is collecting in the separator, just sitting in there and once it reaches capacity, it just goes throught the collector any way.  Is there something I did wrong in setting up the member of the Sheriff's department?  Here is how my system us set up:

- Green PVC piped throughout the shop -> 4" flex hose -> Super Dust Deputy (connected to a short aluminum duct that goes into a Brute trash barrel with trash bag in it...this connection is where I suspect there might be a problem) -> 5" flex hose -> Single Stage System.

Any help would be obliged.

I would suspect that you have an air leak somewhere between the SDD and the Brute barrel underneath.  Remember even though there should be no air flow there, there is still negative pressure, so any sort of leak could possible cause the dust/etc to not completely settle all the way into the barrel.

Getting rid of the bag might be a good start, but if you have an air leak in the barrel then you'll still have a problem with which you need to deal.  I don't know how "airtight" the lid is - you might consider getting some foam weatherstripping and line it along the top edge of the barrel, to get a better seal between it and the lid.

In other instances where I've seen a trash barrel like that used, the lid was replaced with a flat shop-made lid that had an inner lip that better fit the barrel. It looks like it would make for a better airtight seal.