Left-Over Engineered Hardwood Flooring - Project Ideas?

ChrisG-Canada

I just completed a total renovation of my home and have 10 boxes of Walnut 8' x 6" x ¾" engineered hardwood flooring left over. Was a special order and can't be returned. This wasn't cheap stuff!

I know I can list it for sale on eBay or Kijiji, etc. but I'm wondering if any of you have turned similar flooring in to good looking projects. Please share any ideas you have.

Just for reference, here are a few pics of the installed flooring.

post-16945-0-60295800-1424282025_thumb.jpost-16945-0-61368900-1424282040_thumb.jpost-16945-0-95017900-1424282051_thumb.j

10 boxes?  :unsure:  Oops!

At that point you may as well build an addition on the house so you can use it up. :)

Can't think of anything engineered flooring would be good for except floors.  Maybe to panel a wall if you wanna get really crazy.  Pretty much worthless for furniture.

No, I haven't had much luck finding a use for leftover flooring.  Engineered flooring is engineered to be, well, flooring.  It does that really well and that's it.  Don't go looking for a reason to want what you have.  See what you can get on Ebay, then put the money towards buying something you actually do want.

If you weren't in Canada and it wasn't hand-scraped I might be interested in it.  Ten boxes could be about enough to do my basement...depending on how much is in a box.  Think we're going with Brazilian cherry but I can always be convinced to use walnut for anything.  The hand-scraped would be a deal breaker though.

You should be able to sell that fairly easily, if you don't ask way too much for it.

Make a large panel and set it in a frame for the headboard/footboard on a bed.

Get or make a bullnose profile in solid wood and use it for countertops, benchtops, etc.

Glue a couple planks together, cut out a circle, and edgeband it. Add a clock mechanism and numbers (stick on, drill holes and inset dowels, stencil on with paint, etc) for a nice wall clock.

Slice off the tongue and the bottom of the groove on the other side, edgeband the exposed plys and make picture frames with a rabbet already present to hold the glass.

I made something similar to Rick's laundry table and I use it in my music room to put my turntable on. I mounted the flooring with glue onto 1/2" underlayment and then edge-banded with maple to cover the exposed ply of the flooring and under layment. It's rock-solid sitting on the store boought legs.

I also made a skinny blanket chest- bench type thing for the end of the bed, but that didn't turn out so hot. I got full of myself and tried to fancy it up too much.

• 5 years later...

Looks like these people don't have a clue. there are several things it can be used for. make a cabinet . or better yet a table, shelves. Just about anything with some imagination. I get leftover flooring quite often being in the construction industry. I recently used some up making a US flag. it took some time to come up with all the proper dimensions so it would be proper size based on the width of the board. It worked out well. I painted each strip red or white and left the area for the blue and stars to be done. I'd upload a picture but it looks like I am not able to do that. I also made my desk That I made years ago out of oak flooring. use it for a wainscot for your bathroom and paint it. or even better whitewash it. dilute a paint to give it a unique look. 

20200223_173619.jpg

10 minutes ago, Keith M Ryea Sr said:

Looks like these people don't have a clue. there are several things it can be used for. make a cabinet . or better yet a table, shelves. Just about anything with some imagination. I get leftover flooring quite often being in the construction industry. I recently used some up making a US flag. it took some time to come up with all the proper dimensions so it would be proper size based on the width of the board. It worked out well. I painted each strip red or white and left the area for the blue and stars to be done. I'd upload a picture but it looks like I am not able to do that. I also made my desk That I made years ago out of oak flooring. use it for a wainscot for your bathroom and paint it. or even better whitewash it. dilute a paint to give it a unique look. 

I don’t think you read carefully enough. If that is engineered as proposed, it will not be suited to making a cabinet. Also, he likely followed through with his plans in 2015, when this was posted. 

Having said that, welcome to the forums. You can post pictures after you have posted comments a few times. That limits first time posts from picture spam.