Decisions, decisions... Jointer/Planner purchase

N00b-in-training

I've seen a number of people go around and around on jointers/planers on the forum but I mostly see a lot of 'it depends' type answers. As a consultant, 'it depends' is alway a good answer so I get it. :)

As I build out my hobbiest wood shop, upgrading from mostly hand me down tools, I'm in the market for about everything. Here are my current selections:

Dust Collector - Grizzly 1.5HP with Super Dust Deputy hybrid setup

Table Saw - Grizzly G1023RLW - 30" 3HP

Laguna - 14tweleve 14" Band Saw

Jet - 10" Sliding Compound Miter

And....

Jet 10" Planer/Jointer Combo

After reading a ton of stuff on here and a couple of other sites it looks like I might be cheaping out/skimping on the Jet Combo. 

Yes, for $450 the combo is probably too good to be true, but it would be well over $3k to get good spiral head machines. The Jet Combo seems to be difficult to get aligned/squared up but I live 25 minutes from JWP (owners of Jet and Powermatic) and figure I'll just raise hell onsite if I have to. 

Anyone have thoughts on if I should sacrifice quality of the other tools by downgrading to spend more on a jointer and planer?

I also want a combo for space reasons...but I refuse to even try the Jet 10" because of everything I've read. Good luck if you do, but it's just almost universally considered bad. It's unfortunate because a 10" or even 8" combo machine that actually worked without being a monumental pain would probably do so incredibly well in sales.

No personal experience with the Jet combo, but in general, tools made to do one job do it very well. Tools made for multiple jobs do each of them not so well. I think Shannon Rogers' example of thicknes planer first / only is reasonable. You can straighten edges with a tablesaw jig, and you can flatten faces enough with a hand plane to finish it off with a thickness planer, or use a sled. A large jointer is great to have, but maybe not the most critical.

Thanks all! Definitely confirmed my thoughts/fears. Had lanned on it being a short term investment but definitely don't want something that'll cause more headaches...

Next question.. Do I need to go to a spiral/helical head planer if I'm going spend the money? Looks like the upgrade to most good cutter heads are $700-$1000 more. Right now my choice would the be the Grizzly 453 15". 

Thanks!

Thanks all! Definitely confirmed my thoughts/fears. Had lanned on it being a short term investment but definitely don't want something that'll cause more headaches...

Next question.. Do I need to go to a spiral/helical head planer if I'm going spend the money? Looks like the upgrade to most good cutter heads are $700-$1000 more. Right now my choice would the be the Grizzly 453 15". 

Thanks!

Spiral head in a planer would be more beneficial than in the jointer. I have an 8" spiral head jointer and a Dewalt 735X planer. The jointer leaves a nice face, the planer does its job, however the surface will need some sanding or scraping when done. As long as you're not ripping out huge chunks of material when you surface your faces you're good to go. Getting 90 degree edges and flat surfaces and to the thickness you need is what is important. 

I have the Jet 10" combo.

The reviews are true for the most part.

Hold out for a better machine if you can, even if it means waiting for some other tools.

If not, you can certainly do some woodworking with the Jet.

There will be some limitations and frustrations...but you can do some woodworking.

I love my DW735. I use it ten times more than I do my jointer. There's too many ways to edge joint a board without a jointer. So back to your "depends" on what kind of boards you're working with? My first pick would be the planer, but not a combo.

I have been looking at the DW735 and am seeing good things. At $600 seems like a great buy without going all in. 

OK so you can get the 453px with spiral cutterhead for $1795 or the GO634XP 12 inch combo with spiral cutterhead for $2395.  Myself I think its worth the $600 extra to get the combo and a 12 jointer to boot!

No doubt. My needs are definitely for a larger planer than jointer, mostly edge jointing. However, should the need ever arise it would be nice to have!

I have been looking at the DW735 and am seeing good things. At $600 seems like a great buy without going all in. 

No doubt. My needs are definitely for a larger planer than jointer, mostly edge jointing. However, should the need ever arise it would be nice to have!

You can easily edge joint on a table saw or router table.  You will find the need for a jointer when you actually need to flatten stock.

Spiral heads are not worth the money for a hobbiest. You'd be better off spending the money on a heavier machine. Spiral is sexy. I get it. My spiral head 24" planer does fine but the surface is not near as good as a steel knife planer. Buy two sets of knives and change them as needed. Send one in for professional grinding while running the other.

Combo machines are sexy too. I've used only a Robland $5500 back in the 90's and it was far from enjoyable. Nothing really ever stayed right on. Spend some coin and buy the best. You'll never regret it once it's paid for.

Steve

Assuming I ditch my current Homecraft tablesaw/jointer (4") combo, what's everyone's suggestions for building a tablesaw jointer jig? I've probably looked at 10 different styles of jigs but I'm having a hard time choosing what one works best. I'm leaning towards a over the fence style as it seems it would provide the squarest and straightest cuts.

Thanks!

Here is my jointer/planer setup:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-46-Jointer/G0654

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/825517/DeWalt-13-Two-Speed-Planer-Model-DW735.aspx?refcode=10INGOPB&gclid=CjwKEAiA05unBRCymrGilanF9SwSJACqDFRmOAnoKWH_mFPJjCPzh3sm_MNKO22GZd23HaoTnO_ECRoCArPw_wcB

Do I wish I had a wider jointer?  Yup, but I can't justify it for being a hobbyist.  The 6" gets the job done, I just have to use the band saw to resaw any stock over 6".  I am very happy with the DW735.  Just don't buy a benchtop jointer...those are crap.  I bought one and I had major problems getting a good, straight board.