Sick of this winter

Tom Cancelleri

This morning I wake up, turn on my water and it's barely coming out. No pressure in my lines. I left a faucet upstairs dripping to try and avoid this. However with -2 degrees overnight my water meter froze and I have to wait for someone from the water company to come and open the ground access to the meter and thaw it with heat. 

hvx7l.jpg

Oh no!  Good luck with your water.  That's a bad thing to have freeze up.  Is the meter fairly close to ground level?  Around here all the pipes are 4' underground, and the meter is usually in the basement.  If the water company lets you, you might consider putting a small lamp in the water meter area before they close it up, and you can put it on to warm it a little on the coldest nights.

It's been pretty frosty here too - below zero most nights, and not out of the teens during the day.  It does wear on ya, but just do the best you can and when spring finally rolls around, you can crack a beer, look back and say - yeah, I dealt with it OK.

Should be interesting for us this weekend - it's been bitter cold and the snow has piled up everywhere with little no no melting, but Sunday it's supposed to warm just a little and actually rain.  I expect a lot more roof collapses in the news as the snow soaks up all that water; and then more issues as it dives below zero again on Monday and everything freezes solid.

Water company came. The meter isn't frozen (it's at the street level 30 inches under ground) They determined it's the line coming into my house. I'm now using a heat gun to warm the pipe coming into my house, and since copper transfers heat really well I'm hoping it melts the ice. To be continued.

When it comes to weather, you just gotta pick your poison.  Cold, snow, heat, humidity, tornadoes, wildfires..... it can't all be roses.

T - good luck with your water.  if any water at all is coming through, keep it on and maybe the ice will gradually melt from the water flowing through.

Yeah, It is -5 this morning in Chicago but I will take that over 100 and humid.

I guess it depends on how thin your blood is. I can put feminine pads under my arms to keep them from sticking to my sides in the summer but I couldn't put up with -3 or the problems associated with it.

-40 is my benchmark for truly awful cold - the point where it doesn't matter whether it is Fahrenheit or Celsius, it is just horribly, horribly cold.

Zero Fahrenheit is in reach today!  Currently sitting at -19C, which feels comparatively warm if one stays out of the truly vicious wind.

Crazy thing is that places like Northern Alaska are dealing with unseasonably warm weather.

Glad to hear you were able to get your water flowing Tom... We are having the same issue in our kitchen faucet...Heat gun in this case is not solving the problem.  I will likely have to get into the wall at some point if I want to permanently solve this problem.  In fact one of my outlets in the kitchen actually had frost on it this morning... So obviously lack of good insulation in this wall is a problem.

Yikes - frost on an outlet is not a good sign!!!  It's always a good idea to leave lower cabinet doors open in a kitchen if you're expecting much colder than normal weather. Another tip I've read is to run the hot water on occasion, since the hot and cold water lines are usually run in the same cavities.

Glad to hear you were able to get your water flowing Tom... We are having the same issue in our kitchen faucet...Heat gun in this case is not solving the problem.  I will likely have to get into the wall at some point if I want to permanently solve this problem.  In fact one of my outlets in the kitchen actually had frost on it this morning... So obviously lack of good insulation in this wall is a problem.

Ouch, I hope it works out without big issues Dave

This is my second four day weekend in a row. Last weekend was Presidents' Day Recess. This weekend was too cold to justify the several hundred 1-1.5 mile urban poverty walkers in our district. Many of the neighboring districts have gone to E-Learning. They complete Internet schooling on these days. The only problem is that this requires 1:1 computer tech and global internet access. So, I get to stay home now but my summer is now two days shorter. Every plus has its minus and vice versa.

Anyone else experince these so-called "ice quakes" that have been freaking people out here in TN? Sounds like someone whacking a thick plank with a mallet, but coming oit of the ground. Not your usual mid-south phenomenon...

We experienced those for the first time in Ontario last year. They are referred to here as "frost quakes". It has to do with a rapid freeze, and water in the ground freezes.