BENCH MATERIAL CHOICES

Adam Rahberg

So I am considering making one of those awesome workbenches with all the stuff on it, dog holes, clamps, speakers, outlets, massage chair. etc...

The material of choice is Hard Maple.

I don't want to go and buy all the maple, because it's damn expensive and I have a hook up to get wood cut to whatever thickness I want whenever I want.  And it's pennies on the dollar.

I have a couple choices of different species from my "guy" and was curious if any of you had done benches out of any of these before.

Hickory

Ash

American Elm 

If you could choose from any of these three, what would you choose?

I have a couple choices of different species from my "guy" and was curious if any of you had done benches out of any of these before.

Hickory

Ash

American Elm 

Ash all the way, it's easy to work with, and has almost no moment with changes in humidity.

Shannon Rogers workbench is all ash if memory serves!

http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/category/projects/roubo/

Make sure any tools that you sharpen regularly are sharp, but if you choose hickory, have your stones or sharpener within reach... Hickory will remove any edge in just a few passes. If it were me, I'd use ash, and use hickory for smoking a pork butt or a brisket, That's what it's best used for.

I know Hickory is good for axe handles, hammer handles, and cooking meat.  I can't think of any other good use.

King's Barbecue (no relation) in Petersburg, Va. cooks the best pork barbecue I know of anywhere.  They've cooked it over a Hickory wood fire for over 50 years.  They always have a big stack of Hickory firewood out back.   I have a hard time passing there without stopping to eat, or at least to take some home.  They're probably less than a mile off I95.

Of the three options, ash for sure...however...

I have a hook up to get wood cut to whatever thickness I want whenever I want.  And it's pennies on the dollar.

Comments like this always concern me.  You better be sure it's kiln dried and kiln dried properly...unless you wanna flatten your bench once a month until there's nothing left of the top.  I'd be skeptical of sawmill lumber.  But that's me.  Ash is pretty cheap...I might look at a reputable hardwood dealer before you pull the trigger.

I agree with hickory for smoking. I use a ton of alder for furniture and smoking. Pecan is my other favorite for smoking. And smoke your coarse salt.

The wood will all be cut by the same guy I bought my walnut and sycamore from. I'll air dry it for a while and then kiln it. I'll probably use some walnut accents.

So ash it is. It's also gaining popularity for floors.

So when I finish this bench it's gonna look pretty bad ash!!!

So I am considering making one of those awesome workbenches with all the stuff on it, dog holes, clamps, speakers, outlets, massage chair. etc...

The material of choice is Hard Maple.

I don't want to go and buy all the maple, because it's damn expensive and I have a hook up to get wood cut to whatever thickness I want whenever I want. And it's pennies on the dollar.

Hickory

Ash

American Elm

You fOrgOt the most important built in for a bench. .. BEER HOLDERS

• Like 2

The wood will all be cut by the same guy I bought my walnut and sycamore from. I'll air dry it for a while and then kiln it. I'll probably use some walnut accents.

Just be aware that there is a pretty nasty Emerald Ash Borer blight going on right now.  Verify when the logs were felled and hopefully it was in the Winter or fall when the sap wasn't rising.  Remove the sap wood before stickering it for dry too since this is bug candy. 

Finally, store the boards vertically for a few days to quickly shed the free water.  This can drop your moisture content 20-30% in a few days.  Then sticker it, band it, and let it sit for a few months.  Also recognize that right now there is not a lot of drying going on because the air is so cold that its not sucking up much moisture as it circulates over the boards.  You may not get any appreciable drying until Spring.

Ah Castle Rock, the little town that I often miss on early morning drives between the Springs and Denver. 

• 4 weeks later...

Add one more vote for Ash.

.......And cow ain't barbeque, its roast beef. Whole hog or nothin', baby!

While you guys are pontificating on what is or is not barbeque, I am taking advantage of a sunny day in Georgia.  On my Green Egg, I am smoking 2 flank steaks for 7 hours. Smoking chips are Cherry.

post-17084-0-02849900-1427138082.jpg

post-17084-0-02849900-1427138082_thumb.j

Of the three options, ash for sure...however...

Comments like this always concern me.  You better be sure it's kiln dried and kiln dried properly...unless you wanna flatten your bench once a month until there's nothing left of the top.  I'd be skeptical of sawmill lumber.  But that's me.  Ash is pretty cheap...I might look at a reputable hardwood dealer before you pull the trigger.

I agree that ash makes the most sense.

I am a little puzzled by the sawmill comment though.  Most of the sawmills I have dealt with are very good about moisture content.  The ones I have used mostly kiln dry and when they don't they tend to specifically mention that, then check and disclose the moisture content if there is any doubt if it is suitable for your purposes.

Personally I would be happy with well air dried lumber, especially ash since it seems to me to be especially stable during moisture changes as compared to most species.

Just be aware that there is a pretty nasty Emerald Ash Borer blight going on right now.  Verify when the logs were felled and hopefully it was in the Winter or fall when the sap wasn't rising.  Remove the sap wood before stickering it for dry too since this is bug candy. 

Even more important than keeping bugs out of your shop: hauling diseased logs or boards from an endemic area to a clean area is basically sentencing giving the borers a free ride...  Emerald ash borers aren't true borers, they'll only go as far as the outermost sapwood in most cases, usually stopping in the cambium, so make sure that the boards are edged before you take them anywhere.

About half of the states have websites tracking these little buggers...

http://www.emeraldashborer.info/surveyinfo.cfm#sthash.q2alVgNG.dpbs

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/ag_Plants/CBON/1251646251641

I get antsy about EAB, PA even has a federal firewood quarantine imposed.

No more puns I swear.

I agree that ash makes the most sense.

I am a little puzzled by the sawmill comment though.  Most of the sawmills I have dealt with are very good about moisture content.  The ones I have used mostly kiln dry and when they don't they tend to specifically mention that, then check and disclose the moisture content if there is any doubt if it is suitable for your purposes.

Personally I would be happy with well air dried lumber, especially ash since it seems to me to be especially stable during moisture changes as compared to most species.

I would be especially skeptical of using air dried ash...unless you wanna see your work eaten from the inside out.  Bugs are a problem in ash these days...don't risk it.

Maybe you deal with some decent mills.  We don't have any around here.  My limited experiences with them have been poor ones.  Generally trashy stock to begin with, then it's either in some state of green or improperly kiln dried.  If you have large mills that do distribution with experienced kiln operators, then you're golden.  What we have around here is Bubba owns some big saws, the tree companies drop off logs, and he hacks them to bits then either stacks them up willy nilly or cooks them into unusable garbage.  Worthless, twisted garbage.

I haven't heard of any ash borer issues around me. I'm in southern California and ash is not quite native here but it is often planted by developers and the city to bring some green. I'll ask an arborist friend of mine that works on the cities committee for tree planting.

• 2 weeks later...