ChrisG Garage to Shop Conversion

ChrisG-Canada

I'm at the beginning of the process of converting my double car garage into a woodworking shop. If you're curious, I'll document the process.

This garage is attached to my house so for this room the plan is to install a 60 or 80 amp sub-panel, new insulated garage doors (with excellent weatherstripping!), new windows, attic insulation, natural gas radiant heating on the ceiling and MAYBE air conditioning. I'm in the part of Canada where it gets cold in the Winter (regularly been -20C/-4F but with wind feels more like -30C/-20F) and hot and humid in the Summer (peaks around 35C/95F but with 95% humidity feels like 45C/113F - it get STICKY). This what my yard looks like today...

post-16945-0-70808300-1424542645_thumb.jpost-16945-0-16374900-1424542666_thumb.jpost-16945-0-69183700-1424542678_thumb.j

An Oneida V3000 dust collector has been ordered and should be here within the next few weeks. Ducting runs will likely be 6" white PVC piping, etc.

There's a lot of cleanup and reorganization that needs to happen before this becomes a shop but it's been so cold lately (and with no heat in the room yet) I've not been really motivated. I

Anyway, here's a few pics of the room. It's about 23'x23' but the back 4' (the the house door) is elevated about 8" from the rest of the pad).

post-16945-0-93291600-1424542445_thumb.jpost-16945-0-30484500-1424542458_thumb.jpost-16945-0-43430500-1424542472_thumb.jpost-16945-0-28820900-1424542487_thumb.j

I'll add more pics as the conversion progresses.

• Like 1

I thought about a gas heater for my shop and steered away because of all of the potential rust issues.  I have a portable heat pump air conditioner that works pretty well.

I'm guessing your worried about the moisture of the combustion exhaust?

I don't think that will be an issue for me because I'm looking at an installed radiant system where any exhaust gases/moisture will be vented outdoor (just like my home forced air furnace). I have a friend who's had a similar system in his garage/shop for at least 15 years with no issues - he's a professional/high-end cabinetmaker (did my kitchen this past Summer). He's convinced that radiant ceiling heating is also the best option for my shop.

If there's something you think I'm overlooking please let me know.

I'm guessing your worried about the moisture of the combustion exhaust?

I don't think that will be an issue for me because I'm looking at an installed radiant system where any exhaust gases/moisture will be vented outdoor (just like my home forced air furnace). I have a friend who's had a similar system in his garage/shop for at least 15 years with no issues - he's a professional/high-end cabinetmaker (did my kitchen this past Summer). He's convinced that radiant ceiling heating is also the best option for my shop.

If there's something you think I'm overlooking please let me know.

You are probably OK then.  Apparently the ones I considered weren't vented and I was told that the combustion released moisture.

I'm at the beginning of the process of converting my double car garage into a woodworking shop. If you're curious, I'll document the process.

This garage is attached to my house so for this room the plan is to install a 60 or 80 amp sub-panel, new insulated garage doors (with excellent weatherstripping!), new windows, attic insulation, natural gas radiant heating on the ceiling and MAYBE air conditioning. I'm in the part of Canada where it gets cold in the Winter (regularly been -20C/-4F but with wind feels more like -30C/-20F) and hot and humid in the Summer (peaks around 35C/95F but with 95% humidity feels like 45C/113F - it get STICKY). This what my yard looks like today...

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

An Oneida V3000 dust collector has been ordered and should be here within the next few weeks. Ducting runs will likely be 6" white PVC piping, etc.

There's a lot of cleanup and reorganization that needs to happen before this becomes a shop but it's been so cold lately (and with no heat in the room yet) I've not been really motivated. I

Anyway, here's a few pics of the room. It's about 23'x23' but the back 4' (the the house door) is elevated about 8" from the rest of the pad).

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'll add more pics as the conversion progresses.

Looking good so far Chris! I am going through the same process as you. Looks like we got alot of the same tools.

Did you end up getting the v3000 from Welbeck sawmill?

Hi Chris - that's a good looking shop space!  Decent ceiling height, and some natural light through the windows will be awesome.  I'm curious as to how you're going to manage the elevated area near the door?  Will that be for machines, or cabinets, or a bench?

Nice pile of tools too!  Looking forward to seeing your shop build-out.

I tend to agree with Eric on this one.  And then it goes from "place of birth" to "place of employment". These days though we really do enjoy having 4 real seasons.  And we actually really do enjoy the snow, and look at the cold as just a nuisance for which you need to be prepared.

Hi Chris - that's a good looking shop space!  Decent ceiling height, and some natural light through the windows will be awesome.  I'm curious as to how you're going to manage the elevated area near the door?  Will that be for machines, or cabinets, or a bench?

Nice pile of tools too!  Looking forward to seeing your shop build-out.

Ceiling height is about 10' from the floor so that's pretty good. The elevated rear section will be mainly for shelving and storage and to hold my garbage cans and recycling bins - pretty handy to have them near the door to the house. I will also locate my large dust collector (coming soon) onto that elevated section to get it out of the way. I prefer to work and have my equipment on a completely flat surface with no steps or tripping hazards.

And for those who asked, where I live is VERY nice - on the southern edge of a huge fresh water lake with lots of beaches and boating (in summer!) and we're also locate at the U.S. border (good for my wife's shopping). A LOT of people move to my smallish city when they retire and/or have had enough of big city life. I'm just tired of the cold this year. Once my heating and electrical are installed, I'm sure I'll be too busy to complain.

I sold my shares in a business last summer but I'm too young to retire (just ask my wife!), so this 'hobby' is finally going to get a lot of my time and attention.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report at this time as I'm still waiting the installation of my radiant heating and electrical sub-panel. Looks like these will be done next week so then the progress can continue.

Today we're insulating the attic space over the shop (garage). Sucky job but it needs to be done.

post-16945-0-12781500-1425659693_thumb.j

Oh, I almost forgot... 2 new R16 garage doors have been ordered and will be installed in about 4 weeks. These are really good doors and have an excellent weather seal so I can keep the outside weather well... outside

Nice!

Why dont use blow in the insulation into your attic? Much quicker, easier and more efficient....

The funny thing is that I did blow insulation into the whole attic (except over the garage) a few months ago. Was completed a few weeks before I decided to to convert the garage into a shop. Looking back I should have just had them do everything but at that time I thought saving a few bucks was a good ideas. Oh well...

Anyway, the attic insulation is now done