ChrisG Garage to Shop Conversion

ChrisG-Canada

Had 7 boxes delivered today. With lots of unpacking, bolting and a bit of heavy lifting I am now the owner of an Oneida V-3000 3 HP dust collector. All I need now is some ducting and some machines to connect to...

post-16945-0-82056300-1426132134_thumb.j

The electrical upgrade is also happening (slowly...). Not much to show but here's a picture anyway. Hopefully will be completed by the end of this week.

post-16945-0-53084900-1426132211_thumb.j

Had 7 boxes delivered today. With lots of unpacking, bolting and a bit of heavy lifting I am now the owner of an Oneida V-3000 3 HP dust collector. All I need now is some ducting and some machines to connect to...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The electrical upgrade is also happening (slowly...). Not much to show but here's a picture anyway. Hopefully will be completed by the end of this week.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Looks good Chris. Its a great machine. Got mine up and running with the ductwork now and i love it.

You said you got 7 boxes, what else did you get?

I think I've made my decision on the big machinery.

Table Saw - Grizzly G1023RLW

Jointer - Grizzly G0490X

Bandsaw - Laguna 14-12

Planer - DeWalt 735 (possibly with upgraded cutter head)

Router Table - Jessem Mast-R-Lift Excel II with dedicated Porter Cable 7518

Most of my hand-held power tools are Festool so that's covered.

Don't have any plan for an SCMS at this point. I already have an older half-decent craftsman drill press and I bought one of this Rigid oscillating belt-spindle sander units.

I've changed my mind about the band saw. I think the 14" Laguna is a good saw, but my new plan is to get the 17" Grizzly G0513X2BF band saw.

I'm working with Grizzly to get the shipping fees, etc. figured out and should officially be placing the order within the next couple of days. Will be getting the band saw, the G1023RLWX 10" cabinet saw and the G0490 8" jointer. I'm also ordering the Shelix cutter for the jointer and will install that once everything is in my shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been slow but I now have an electrical sub-panel and 120/240V circuits in the shop.

post-16945-0-58753100-1427306287_thumb.j

post-16945-0-29000000-1427306315_thumb.j

post-16945-0-52679800-1427306329_thumb.j

Also, today the HVAC guys finished the ceiling mounted radiant heater. The heating is great but the unit has an annoying vibration at the hanger hooks on one side. Any suggestions about how to permanently eliminate any vibration? The installer said he tightened up the "S" clip as much as he could but that's not enough to solve the problem. He wasn't prepared to do anything more so I'm following up with the salesman to see what he will do to help me. Whatever solution has to be able to handle significant heat as it will be literally inches from the heater tube which gets pretty warm.

Next is to finalize my dust collection ducting and I'm patiently (not really) waiting for my woodworking machines to clear customs.

post-16945-0-83170600-1427306393_thumb.j

Didn't get a lot done today in the shop - mainly cleaning up the mess and getting rid of most of the garbage.

Oh wait, I also got the Shelix head installed in the DW735 planer. That went ok except that the cutter head didn't come with any directions but I found them online so all is well.

Now to figure out what to do with a brand new DW735 straight blade cutter head which includes 2 brand new sets of HSS blades.

And yes, I plan to install the dust collector ducting myself.

Didn't get a lot done today in the shop - mainly cleaning up the mess and getting rid of most of the garbage.

Oh wait, I also got the Shelix head installed in the DW735 planer. That went ok except that the cutter head didn't come with any directions but I found them online so all is well.

Now to figure out what to do with a brand new DW735 straight blade cutter head which includes 2 brand new sets of HSS blades.

And yes, I plan to install the dust collector ducting myself.

Gonna offer that head & blades for sale?

• 1 month later...

Not a lot been happening the past month with other commitments and being sick for 2 weeks.

I did finalize the ducting design, get the materials and start the installation.

Here's where I'm at as of today...

post-16945-0-70778800-1430784483_thumb.j

I figure another day or 2 of work and I will have fully functional dust collection.

Wow that's some duct system

Is that yellow a pex gas line?

That's a natural gas line that runs to my overhead radiant heater. Not sure if it's actually PEX but it is somewhat flexible and has the plastic exterior coating. The gas line comes into my garage through the exterior wall, runs up the interior wall and then through the ceiling to my heater. I wasn't available when they ran the line or I would have had then run it beside a window rather than up the center of a wall. In the end it doesn't matter because I will install cabinets hung from cleats which will easily clear the gas line,

• Like 1

That's a natural gas line that runs to my overhead radiant heater. Not sure if it's actually PEX but it is somewhat flexible and has the plastic exterior coating. The gas line comes into my garage through the exterior wall, runs up the interior wall and then through the ceiling to my heater. I wasn't available when they ran the line or I would have had then run it beside a window rather than up the center of a wall. In the end it doesn't matter because I will install cabinets hung from cleats which will easily clear the gas line,

That's why I asked it is pex if it's plastic and if it was mine I would cover it with something. If it's the metal flex ýou are ok.

With my luck I would stick something through it and blow my shop up.

It's definitely heavy duty metallic flex hose with a plastic/rubber coating - specifically designed as a surface mounted natural gas line. Was installed by local professional HVAC company (who gets inspected by local gas utility) so it's the good stuff.

I'll be installing French Cleats on the wall so all cabinets, etc. will hang from them so no concern about accidentally puncturing the hose. To be honest, I think it would be very hard to puncture it on purpose.

My arms and shoulders are hurting today from lifting and adjusting the ducting overhead. I'll be glad once it's all done.

• 5 weeks later...

I haven't updated this in a while but the shop is starting to come together.

I got my ducting finished (I HATE working over my head - my shoulder is still hurting) and it seems to work very well... When I remember to turn it on...

I made a basic roll around clamp/air compressor rack.

post-16945-0-08611400-1433534686_thumb.j

post-16945-0-32851900-1433534703_thumb.j

I fabricated a basic arm for my overhead dust collection on the table saw.

post-16945-0-54046900-1433534813_thumb.j

post-16945-0-82836400-1433534829_thumb.j

post-16945-0-27214800-1433534839_thumb.j

And finally, I mounted a couple of wood storage racks and loaded them up with 50 bd ft each of 4/4 maple, walnut and cherry plus a few SPF 2x4 and approx 15 bd ft of ⅝" oak.

post-16945-0-08408300-1433534911_thumb.j

post-16945-0-07187900-1433534925_thumb.j

Next job is to make some cabinet/carts for SCMS, bench top drill press and DW735 planer. I also need to improve the lighting.