New appliances? Refrigerator?

wdwerker

What a mine field I stepped into today. My 26 year old fridge just won't get cold enough. Tried defrosting it and cleaning coils etc. So I start looking around. All the features I wanted only come on side by side or french door models. Normal door fridges are smaller and stripped, even have to pay extra for an ice maker .Narrowed it down to a few models then stumbled in a scratched one at a decent price.

Samsung 25.5 cu ft french door model.

Anyone heard of or have any experience with one !

I have a Samsung french door model, not sure of the specific model number. Has icemakes in the freezer, but no water dispenser. I like it, but it's only 3 years old so I cannot comment on its longevity. The filters for the ice maker are about 40 bucks and need changing every 6 mos, kind of a pain (but easy to do and easily accessable).post-6372-0-04778100-1424573418_thumb.jppost-6372-0-83626500-1424573433_thumb.jppost-6372-0-26434600-1424573449_thumb.jp

Different model but it looks very similar to the one I got ! Didn't see a filter on mine but our county water dept is top grade.

I have heard horror stories of ice makers dying and flooding the kitchen. Plus these new appliances have sensors and digital controls so I popped for the 5 year warranty too.

I had a short stint selling appliances at a friends store a couple of years ago. Samsung is one of the best models available. I bought one for my house. The service calls, if needed, are usually higher than other appliances due to (from what I was told) the difficulty on working on them. Appliances are the only items I'd consider gettting an extended warranty on -  especially refrigerators since it's pretty hard to take them in for repair. Just a thought.

Yea, I read some horror stories about repairs when I was researching new fridges. So I popped for the 5 year renewable extended warranty . I figured $109 would barely cover one service call with no parts. I got the model without any in the door ice or water, those seem to be the first thing that breaks. It's not hard to swap out an internal ice maker.

I like to buy American made but read that most of the parts come from Korea anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my new fridge delivered ! Best Buy managed to screw up the delivery schedule and "lost" my scratch and dent purchase, so they replaced it with a brand new one !

post-6363-0-62698300-1425317080_thumb.jp

I had to remove the door frame and casings to get the old fridge out and the new one in. Few minutes with the nail gun will get it all back in place.

post-6363-0-22663100-1425317096_thumb.jp

Finally got my new fridge delivered ! Best Buy managed to screw up the delivery schedule and "lost" my scratch and dent purchase, so they replaced it with a brand new one !

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I had to remove the door frame and casings to get the old fridge out and the new one in. Few minutes with the nail gun will get it all back in place.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice fridge. I'm having trouble locating the beer section.

• Like 1

There must be an awful mark up on this stuff, the Best Buy delivery people delivered our appliances and damaged the fridge door, I commented about the slight ding in one of the doors about 4" off the floor and a new fridge showed up 2 days later.

Im happy with my Samsung so far, the stainless is a hassle to keep clean, But I currently have 6 people in my house.

I just have to relate this story to you guys. It is true!

Had some neighbors who lived in a house built in the '50s and had the small kitchen like most houses built in that day. 

The wife was always trying to keep up with the Jones's on a Smith budget. The husband was just a few lumens short of a light bulb but, was always wanting to please the wife.

She went to an appliance store to get a new refrigerator and of course the biggest side by side with the water dispenser and ice maker seemed to be the ONLY way to fly!

When it was delivered, two men struggled to get it into the front door of the house. They had to remove the door and casing then soon discovered that it was about 10" too wide and 3" too tall for the space allotted for it in the kitchen.  "Well, we can take it back and you can get a smaller one." "NO!! I want this one!" "My husband can make it fit."

The not so quick thinking husband Immediately went down the block to another neighbors house and browed a reciprocating saw, pulled out some drawers and pots and pans from the offending cabinet and sliced about 11" off of the end of it. Removed the doors and some food from the overhead cabinet and cut 4" or 5" off the bottom of it for vertical clearance. Then pushed the fridge into the space.

Unfortunately, he never was real good at refinishing anything (or finishing anything at all) and I don't think the water dispenser or icemaker was ever hooked up. And the cabinets looked a bit strange with the rough, crooked cut ends.   I know that the front door never worked quite the same. :rolleyes:

When they moved (due to bankruptcy and divorce) the kitchen still looked like.......Well, it wasn't good. :lol:

Champagne tastes on a beer budget.  :rolleyes:  

Rog