baby rattle

Glen Bridges

hey everyone,

A friend of mine just had a baby and I thought it would be neat to make her a baby rattle. Too give you an idea on the design, think sucker on a stick..

I have a left over piece of maple baseball bat stock I picked up from Rockler a while back. The stock is about 2 1/2" round. I was thinking about cutting two pieces about 3/4" thick off the end. Then  using a 2" fostner bit to hollow both pieces out and glue the two pieces together (after filling it with the noise making material). My question is, is using the bat stock a good idea? The main surface area is going to be end grain. will it look nice, break when if hollow it out, hold up with out breaking.

Please tell me what you think

Thanks

Glen

You do realize that by putting a noise maker inside a solid object, the sound does not exit?

As a band director with dozens of noisemakers of this design, I disagree with this statement. The strikers contact the walls and the walls vibrate. The quality of the sound is affected by the density of the strikers and the thinness of the carrier's walls.

As a band director with dozens of noisemakers of this design, I disagree with this statement. The strikers contact the walls and the walls vibrate. The quality of the sound is affected by the density of the strikers and the thinness of the carrier's walls.

The walls have to be thin for it to be viable.  A baseball bat and a Forstner bit, leave thick walls.

Richard, I have all types. For a baby rattle with no need for symphonic projection, the density matters far more. Sounds transmit better through dense solids than through air. This is the theory that drives listening for whales under water and for trains with your ear on the rail. This is why lead shot in a thick walled mallet will still make plenty of noise. I would polish the surface to remove any fuzz and use something hard to get a nice click.

Now this is a project where suitable finish is important. The kid will all but eat the thing, so avoid any finish that might flake off or be toxic in any way. Mineral oil & beeswax might need frequent renewal, but is safe for the kid.

I think your plan is sound, and shoukd look just fine. The only concern I'd have about the large faces of relatively thin end grain is that they might chip out while in use, and allow wood chips or the rattle bits to be ingested.

I suggest using dried beans for the rattlers, and making the hollow portion large enough that the kid can't shove it into his mouth.

You do realize that by putting a noise maker inside a solid object, the sound does not exit?

Am I the only one that read this is a philosophical questions? As in, you can't actually put anything INSIDE a SOLID object? You'd only be able to put something inside a hollowed object. right? :huh: Judging by the responses, I guess I was. 

Great thread though. Just had a kid myself, well, the wife did, but I've been thinking about a project like this for the little one. Good feedback. Let us know how yours comes together!

• 4 months later...