Looking for holly

duckkisser

I'm looking to get some holly so I'm looking for someone in the south eastern United states who would be willing to look around for a holly tree that they can cut. I don't have a project in mind I just don't want to pay the huge amount of money they want for the small pieces. If anyone is interested perhaps we can do a lumber swap I'm sure I could find some local lumber like hedge Apple, crab appe or I have some small pieces of lilac.

Big s I can get ill eather turn it on lathe if big enough or I'll use it for inlay. Well just have to figure out the freight

Freight is not a concern. UPS comes by everyday, wanted or not. My company will pay for it. Let me see what I can get. Ideal lengths would be what?

Cooper I don't care what size I don't have a project I'n mind I just want as much as possible one of those wood you have to cut yourself since most companies don't sell it. So if you can get it it's awsome for decorative work. And often it's only sold in small pieces like pen blanks or knife scale sizes. Let me know what you can find out and we'll have to do some kind of trade.

Holly neds to be cut soon. I hear if the sap is up, it will get bluish streaks as it dries.

Several 'shrub' species have a very tight grain and white wood. I have used Texas Privet for small pieces before, it has an apearance like antique ivory.

I guess you would use the privet for inlay as it very small diameter limbs/trunks. I planted 4 two years ago and they don't get very thick

Duck, let me see what I can get before you commit to tradin!

There are some privet bushes growing on the old home place next door, that have branches nearly 6" in diameter. Stuff gets pretty big if not pruned.

These are the ones with the long purple flowers?

Holly once cut needs to be kiln dried right away to keep its white color. I'm pretty sure you need to cut it during the winter also. What are you looking for 4/4 or thicker or even less then 4/4. Let me know I have quite a lot of it from 1/2" to 6/4 all kiln dried. Not looking to trade wood but I will give you a good deal .

• Like 1

Holly once cut needs to be kiln dried right away to keep its white color. I'm pretty sure you need to cut it during the winter also .

Yup, it has tendency to turn pink. Teak and holly floors were the "traditional" choice for boat interiors, but because of how finicky it is to deal with most manufacturers have substituted it for maple..

Holly once cut needs to be kiln dried right away to keep its white color. I'm pretty sure you need to cut it during the winter also. What are you looking for 4/4 or thicker or even less then 4/4. Let me know I have quite a lot of it from 1/2" to 6/4 all kiln dried. Not looking to trade wood but I will give you a good deal .

How much per bf for the 6/4, Jerry?

Ya looked at them was hoping to find someone with a tree in their yard they want to cut out. Want a deal because have no idea what I'm going to do with it. Only pay those prices when I have a customer who is paying for materials or I know I'm going to get reimbursed.