Looking for holly

duckkisser

We sent a bunch of holly trees that were knocked down by winds during Sandy through a large chipper at work. If only I knew.........

Uggggg that kills me if it was properly dried it's worth a small fortune. I always check the wood to see if it's worth my cuting it into lumber for example wallnut tree went down at work and I choped it up into turning blanks.

Duck, I just talked to my wife's uncle in Louisiana and he had his 35 acres clear cut in November, harvesting the pines and along with it, went everything else including the hollies. Sorry for the false hopes. I posted here instead of pm in hopes that another member would come thru for you.

Ken

Duck, I probably have some holly in my shop but it would be small stuff, probably 3 - 3.5" in diameter including the bark and pith. I use it mostly for accent wood although recently I made an axe handle from holly. I cut in winter and air dry, no issues with it changing color although mine ends up the color of bone or ivory (off white).

A drawer front I made for a charity deal, it was part of a larger piece of furniture. The dulcimer and trim are holly finished with blonde shellac. It looks slightly more tan in this picture than in real life.

ZcCljX3.jpg

i was just looking at the woodcraft catalog today and saw they had some.  even the small pieces were like 10 dollars for a small piece. holly is just one of those wood thats super rare to get like apple and pear. best way to get it is to know someone who is going to cut some trees and has the boards waiting in his shop.    

Duck - I'm a fool to do your dirty work (oh yeah)

Called today - the have a bunch...approx. 1/4 thick by 1.5"w x 14" long.  In the $5 range.

Let me know - I can pick up, break down if you don't need em that long and ship.

I apreciate that been swamped to call working an extra 20 hours a week to earn some extra cash. Think I'm going to buy some other things that I need rather then just want.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, to tie a bow on this lovefest, DK sent me mixed bag of mineral goodies and some exotic cut offs as a thanks.

What a mensch!

I'll have to look at some of his mixed media portfolio for inspirado.

Nice people doing nice things for each other out of love for a common hobby, a willingness to help, and an appreciation of seeing each other do well and learn.

That's why this is such a great forum.

Let me know when you decide to use the stone chips I'll give you some tips like paint the bottom of the inlay with black paint to make the color stand out. Or if you use automotive paint additive it will make the highlights change color.

• Like 1