Selling large power tools

W1ngnu7_1628

Ive had great luck thru craigs list especially with woodworking tools. Dont hesitate list it. If you list it with a good price it will be gone quick. One thing though I always try to meet at a local gas station if possible that way i dont have strangers coming to my house. If thats not possible i at least try to speak to them on the phone before they come- this is not bullet proof but its a step to get you more comfortable  you never know how you could be dealing with.

+1 on the CL...they pick up the larger stuff but I'd load it onto a trailer and meet them at a large gas station - with cameras...people have gotten jacked and killed lately through CL responses.

if you want to ship it....call the trucking company and get a price to ship and add it all together with your time to build the crate and the lumber cost and add it all to the price.

I have had trouble with CL for larger tools.  I put a miter saw up there a month or so ago and all I got for responses were people trying to fish for my address before we set any details, like what time or how much.  They email me at 8:00 at night and say that they could be there in an hour, and ask for my address.  And when I said that I would meet them in a well lit public place (I used my local Sears as a suggestion), they would go silent, and then pop up a couple days later to ask for my address again.  So, if you use CL, use caution.  There are a lot of scumbags out there that just want to jack you for everything you have.  I am not willing to take that risk anymore with a kid in my house.

I ended up just finding a used tool store near me and dumping it there.  I got about $100 less, but I didn't have to deal with Craigslist people and having them know where I live and what is in my shop.

Wow, I have never sold anything on Craig's List.  After reading this, I don't think I ever will.  Just not worth the hassle.  

EDIT:  I take that back, I sold my kids' bunk beds.  Every reply was local and (like within a few city blocks local) and were from newish moms.   Maybe that is the benefit if living in a dense population and selling to new moms.  

Oh, come on Mike, you were just looking for the next Mrs. Woodsap!

Every CL deal I bought was underpriced and fairly dealt. I think the public space thing is just proactive for rural people. There is a lot of wisdom in planning for the worst and being pleasantly surprised. OP, CL is a one week sale around here. Very little lasts longer and it is the buyers effort to move it.

I have had pretty good luck buying on CL, not so much selling. I like E-bay, If they can't come and get it, I'll ship anything at their cost, prepaid via paypal. I Shipped a 1000cc sport bike to mexico a few years ago. Regardless of which you use, a paypal deposit before the meeting is a good insurance policy, even if it is just a couple bucks, you get the paypal guarantee and you know who you are dealing with up front.

Uship is a site where you put up details and truckers bid on the job.

I think the public space thing is just proactive for rural people. 

Not so man.  I live in a densely populated suburb of Boston.  The scumbags still try to fish.  I have a friend who lives virtually in the city and won't deal with Craigslist.  He would rather give his stuff away then deal with selling on CL.  I have had a lot of luck buying, but selling, not so much.

Those Facebook yard sale sites are an OK spot to dump stuff too, but they don't generally have the market for large power tools.

Any tips on filtering out the non serious buyers?  (paypal validation sounds good, I think that might limit buyers though.  Some people don't trust paypal enough to create an account)  I basically need someone to come to my shop to pick it up and I'd rather not let people see inside my shop unless I need to.

Summarizing this thread sounds basically like the only answer is really craigslist and it's about 50/50 on whether people love it or hate it.

Had success both buying and selling expensive things on Craig's list without any issue. Just keep your spidy-sense sharp. All the transactions have been totally safe and with normal people. What is for sale can help you figure out who you want to do business with. A dewalt drill / impact driver new and in the box on Craig's list is most certainly stolen. Too good to be true is.

Any tips on filtering out the non serious buyers?  (paypal validation sounds good, I think that might limit buyers though.  Some people don't trust paypal enough to create an account)  I basically need someone to come to my shop to pick it up and I'd rather not let people see inside my shop unless I need to.

Summarizing this thread sounds basically like the only answer is really craigslist and it's about 50/50 on whether people love it or hate it.

Most peeps are legit buyers. Would avoid the paypal thing, require pick up and cash. PayPal payments can be faked. Your best defense against scammers is to insist on your terms for the transaction.

I have given construction materials away on Craig's list to get them off site, I have had people come to the house to get it with no problems, I have bought a lot of stuff off Craig's list with no issues, almost everything I have tried to sell has lead to a lot of bs and phishing. I recently tried to buy a Rockwell tablesaw and never could get that meeting done. I have absolute trust in PayPal as long as it is a confirmed account, it is guarnteed. Just list it, see what kind of response you get, don't trust em, don't seem right cut em off, if the price and product is right it will sell, if not well you don't really want it gone all that bad.

Any tips on filtering out the non serious buyers? (paypal validation sounds good, I think that might limit buyers though. Some people don't trust paypal enough to create an account) I basically need someone to come to my shop to pick it up and I'd rather not let people see inside my shop unless I need to.

I've sold tons of stuff on Craigslist, both tools and non tools and have been pretty successful at it. My method is don't put an email address and spell your phone number or use symbols that spam bots don't recognize. Never even bother answering calls or texts from out of area phone numbers and specify "local sale only" in the ad. If the item I'm selling is portable, I always meet at a place other than my house so I limit people that see my shop/house. If it's not portable I never give my address until the person is ready to come here and I've talked to them on the phone instead of just texting. Listing items on woodworking forums, even if it's a "must pickup" type of sale, increases the chances of finding an honest, serious buyer and obviously targets people that buy woodworking tools. Insist on cash, no PayPal or money orders or prepaid cards, etc and always in person at a place of your choosing.

Good luck.