Well, I took the plunge!

Pwalter5110

I just ordered a Festool Domino DF500. I am impatiently waiting for it to ship now! Any tips, and tricks that you guys want to share to get the most out of it?

I was going back and forth about buying one. For one, I can make mortises and tenons the traditional way. And secondly, the price is a little high. I decided to order it before the price increase, and because I just don't get much shop time now that I have a 6 month old in the house. I can get a lot more done, in a lot less time if I'm not fussing over the perfect fit of a tenon. 

I am going to check out Paul's video now! 

Is it on YouTube? Also, I haven't read anywhere that the price increase effects the U.S. market.

I'm not sure if the price increase is effecting the U.S. but I wasn't waiting to see. Plus, it didn't take as much persuading with the wife when I told her if I wait any longer, the price is going up!  :D

I do have a question. They give you a 5mm cutter. That seems really small for most things. What size cutter is typically used for 3/4 - 4/4 material? Like an apron going into a 1 1/2" thick leg.

You basically have to buy the assortment systainer to get the most out of a Domino...you'll end up with all this stuff eventually anyway and pay twice as much if you buy it all a la carte.  Pinch your buttcheeks tightly together before clicking the link.

http://www.amazon.com/Festool-498899-Assorted-Cutters-Systainer/dp/B0073E5N8U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424698019&sr=8-2&keywords=festool+domino+500

You basically have to buy the assortment systainer to get the most out of a Domino...you'll end up with all this stuff eventually anyway and pay twice as much if you buy it all a la carte. Pinch your buttcheeks tightly together before clicking the link.

http://www.amazon.com/Festool-498899-Assorted-Cutters-Systainer/dp/B0073E5N8U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424698019&sr=8-2&keywords=festool+domino+500

Oh sweet mercy!

But I guess getting all those to start isn't too bad? Then you will know what you really use a lot and just stick those which should bring down the price a lot for using the domino if you are only buying 1-2 sizes the majority of the time.

You basically have to buy the assortment systainer to get the most out of a Domino...you'll end up with all this stuff eventually anyway and pay twice as much if you buy it all a la carte.  Pinch your buttcheeks tightly together before clicking the link.

I planned on buying the CMT bits as needed. They are relatively cheap and buying the dominos as needed as well. Or making them myself. PLUS, I already need a vacuum hose to hook the domino up to the shop vac. I might have to sleep in the shop if I spend another $285 <_<

I planned on buying the CMT bits as needed. They are relatively cheap and buying the dominos as needed as well. Or making them myself. PLUS, I already need a vacuum hose to hook the domino up to the shop vac. I might have to sleep in the shop if I spend another $285 <_<

CMT makes bits for the Domino?

Good point. I bought the kit as well, and have used almost all of the cutters at some point. The 6 mil cutter is perfect for plywood and 3/4 stock. I find the 5 mil cutter useful for mitered photo frames and not much else currently.