Shop Cabinets - do you like legs?

Dwhite9804

I may be presented with an opportunity to start with a blank space and create a shop from scratch, albeit a one car garage. (I'll still take it! No more Cozy Coupe's tucked under my TS!)

I need to be smart about space layout and usage, so I'm spending a long time in a planning phase. What are the pros/cons to cabinets that are flush on the ground versus elevated on legs? I'm thinking in terms of cleaning out sawdust or chasing that elusive round pencil or the last dowel needed. I understand with legs I could potentially store longer items underneath the cabinets, but with cabinets on the floor I could go taller or even store longer items above them. Lastly, because it's my first dedicated shop, I imagine I will be moving things around until I have a good workflow going. Absent a solid bottom, legs would make it easier to get a hand truck under the cabinet.

What do your shops have? Combination flat on the floor and legs? Did you pay attention to it? Do you wish you would have?

Most garages floors aren't flat or level...so legs make it possible for stuff to sit without being wobbly. If you're talking about against a wall where secured to the wall solves wobbling, then why do anything other than standard cabinets with a standard-sized toe kick (and you need one because you still want to scribe it the floor due to previously mentioned lack of flatness/level).

• Like 2

Cabinets and legs don't go together. Mobile bases for equipment that needs to be re-located.

The only legs I allow in my shop belong to the neighbor when she brings fresh baked cookies.

Lemme see how my Texanese is coming...I think I should say "Fresh cookies for the neighbors?  Bless her heart."

• Like 1

I have use plastic adjustable legs under cabinets for years. I get the ones that screw on. They have gotten expensive unless you buy quantities from the right suppliers. I don't think using them free standing would be a good idea. They are meant to support with the cabinet screwed to the wall. If I use them on an island I scribe end and back panels to the floor and mount them with blocking to provide ridgity.

• Like 1

Ah, yes, however in my experience neighbor's cookies tend to sour SWMBO's cookies! 

I appreciate the replies. I think i'm leaning now towards cleat wall cabinets so i can mount to wall and rearrange as i acquire tools. I think if I were to come up with some sort of custom cabinet fix, I'll find 6mos later it doesn't fit my current needs. 

Thanks again! 

I also have a 1 car garage shop. I'm currently in the process of ripping out some tall floor cabinets which I'm going to replace with wall cabinets. Floor space is much more important to me than storage. With this change, I'll finally have the floor space I need to get a decent sized lathe.