Wine Hutch

Shane Jimerfield

I like the looks of it but, those corners look like a real "belly poker". Could they chip off after a time?

That's a really good point. Hahaha, get it.  :P

Not to mention the cranial damage they could do on a short person.

I'm into the joinery and glue-up of the case now and will allow the top redesign to brew a bit more before I commit to anything.

I think a convex curve might be better, so it had more overhang in the center. I am with Kiki, I like curves like that when they are subtle. The trestle table is long enough that the curve really makes the table look more streamlined and lighter. It is also functional. You wany more space in the middle of the table for serving dishes, etc. So it gives you width where you need it without letting the table overpower the room.

On FWW website there is a Tage Frid plan for "scandanavian chest of drawers" that uses the same beveled curve in a more subtle way.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-plans/article/variations-on-a-four-drawer-chest.aspx

Had a look at this fine piece this morning. Though there are similarities they are also quite different. I really like his chest of drawers. I've had an affinity for the Danish style for a while, though I've never built anything in it.

His corners are definitely not as extreme as I have proposed, and my grey matter is now leaning away from that. I'm gonna have to let it all ruminate a bit while I finish the base - still lots of work to do on that.

Thanks for all the tips and comments so far. It's why I love this forum so much - mostly good/constructive feedback. Keeps me from pissing outside the bowl.  ;)

Hardware thoughts?

I'm thinking this cabinet needs a blend of rustic/old-school. I'm considering these iron hinges by Acorn.

Just my opinion, but in the sketch up drawing, the legs give it an oriental touch and I don't think rustic fits. But in your pic, without the finish, the eucalyptus doesn't look that red and it might work?

yeah, with finish it will  be somewhere between, but probably more red and orange than these images show. I posted a pic of the top with some mineral spirits wiped on.

After milling the quarter sawn black oak for the front pieces they came out at 5/8" thick, so my options for hinges is more limited due to the thinness. That's why I'm looking at surface mounted. I'm not a big fan of ornate hardware - at least not on stuff I build. I'm gonna keep looking and see if I can't find something.

I had to create 48 of these rails for the lower wine rack. That's 48 x 4 plus the 48 ends that needed a little hand plane love to make them look good. I really did not want to sand them and they look good with a nice hand plane sheen.

Shavings make good kindling for the wood stove.

post-15223-0-87513900-1427152582.jpg

I'd put the project at about 90% done - not including the finishing. The wine is research for the project and for the character.  :D

post-15223-0-37676200-1427152663.jpg

Left to do: install center drawer guide for upper drawer, size upper drawer front and install, size and fit doors, glue about 42 more rails into place, and install hardware. Then make the final decision on the shape of the top and install it. Then finish it. I'm using CrystaLac on the front, then a few coats of Arm-R-Seal over the entire thing, except inside the drawers.

post-15223-0-87513900-1427152582_thumb.j

post-15223-0-37676200-1427152663_thumb.j

After much rumination I think I will head the advise and keep the top rectangular. I don't think the curve goes with this piece.

I have been rethinking the backsplash too. Here is another option with a variation. Which do you like, the even one or the one where it goes higher than the buttresses.

post-15223-0-90400700-1427236017_thumb.j

post-15223-0-34125800-1427236020_thumb.j