I used a tack cloth to dust my water based top coat. Yikes.

laurendarges

I am refinishing our kitchen table and I've never refinished furniture before.

I am using General Finished water based stain and now their high performance water based satin top coat. When I stand with a 400 grid between the top coats, it leaves quite the residue of dust. so I used a tack cloth to take it off. Now i read the tack cloth has oil in it. What do I do? I am about to put my 3rd coat of top coat on. So, I've used the tack cloth three times: 1x before staining, 2x after 1st and 2nd top coat. And i rubbed hard to get that sandng white powder residue out of there.

2nd question: when I sand between the top coats and it leaves the white dust, do I dust it until all the white "dullness" is gone?

Thank you!

The key with a tack cloth is very light pressure, I dont see a need for a tack cloth with water base a good lint free rag slightly damp. when doing automotive stuff we will blow it off, wipe down with a damp paper towel and end with a tack rag with very light pressure, you will be able to see every place you applied to much pressure it usually loos like a hand or finger print.

I dont know if the water base would react or not, I have been putting water base clear over miniwax tung oil

You can use any tack rag so long as it doesn't contain linseed oil.

I was scratching my head on this one and being a young finish. I get the alcohol and 50/50 mix with water but we are dealing with an oil.  So I reached out to my contact at General Finishes. They advised a quick wipe of mineral spirits should do the trick. Just make sure the finish is dry and let the mineral spirits fully flash off.

Like the others said, damp soft cloth with water, more dry than wet, all you need.

-Ace- 

• 4 weeks later...

I use compressed air for the bigger things and its fast, then go back with a cloth in a 5 min or so. If conditions dont permit take a horse hair or synthetic shop brush and a shop vac to suck up the airborne crap as needed, wipe down with a semi damp cloth with appropriate liquid that wont affect your finish. Ive never been tempted to use a tack cloth, and Ive been doing pretty good without it. 

The reason i dont use a brush attachment is that the ones i see for my ridgid shop vac dont have very much bristle length that ends with plastic. Im paranoid Id nick my finish and have a fit, cry baby tears and say "WHY GOD, WHY!!!!" :D