Dust collection hookup on ridgid spindle sander

shaneymack

Picked up a ridgid oscillating edge/spindle sander today....great deal 199$ cant go wrong with that! The dust collection outlet is a 2-1/2". I am debating the best hookup. I have an oneida v3000 with 5" flex going to each machine with a 5" to 4" reducer on each machine. I have a festool ct 26 with a 36mm hose and a 27mm hose. My preferred connection would be with the ct26 but i cant seem to find an adapter from 27 or 36mm to 2-1/2". Does this exist?

The other possibility would be taking some 5" flex and getting a 5" to 4" reducer and plugging that into a 4" to 2-1/2" reducer on the sander. Is there a better way? Does anyone have this sander and if so, what did you do?

Thanks,

Shane

I bought a stand-alone combo OSS/disc sander and it came with 2.5" ports. Stupid. I ripped them off and custom-built housing to receive 4" ports and hooked it to my DC. You want as much CFM as possible for sanding machines. You might consider it.

I would be interested in seeing a pic or 2 of this mod if it's not too much trouble. I agree for sanding you need all the CFM you can get.

I bought a 4" to 2 1/2" adapter and it wont slip on, so I figure I will just get a flexible coupling from Lowe's.

I do want to hook up my CT vac, but I'm not positive which one to order. If anyone knows the exact model or has a link, that'd be appreciated!

Are you saying the 2 1/2" fitting doesn't fit on the 2 1/2" port on the ridgid sander?

I would be interested in seeing a pic or 2 of this mod if it's not too much trouble. I agree for sanding you need all the CFM you can get.

I'm away from the shop today but I'll take a pic when I get a chance.  It probably won't be much help to you since my modification is unique to my machine...yours will be different.  I basically just built a box around the underside of the table leaving as few gaps as possible...then attached a 4" port.

Jim Fox - reducing your 4" DC hose to a 2.5" port absolutely kills the performance.  At that point you'd be better off hooking to a shop vac.  I have the same scenario at my drill press, and for the bigger shavings and crumbs that type of machine produces, it's sufficient.  For a sander it would be totally insufficient.  Modifying your port to a 4" would likely more than double the efficiency...at least.  Small ports and DCs don't play nice.  They're just incompatible.  It took me a long time to accept it, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm attempting to do a 2.5"+4" Y for my own Ridgid spindle sander.  The 2.5" leg of course goes to the DC port.  The 4" leg goes to a scoop that's attached on one side/end of the sander.  The ducttape mockup showed promise, but I haven't decided yet how to permanently attach the scoop yet.

Here's my jury-rigged port for my OSS.  It's fairly irrelevant for this thread since it's about the Ridgid...but you asked so you shall receive. :)

sandDC1.jpg

sandDC2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've found the 2 1/2 on the back works well enough for using the drums, but when using the belt it really benefits from another collection point at the end of the belt where it wants to shoot the dust off. You can hook up one of those hard collar flex hoses to sit back there, or use a 4x4 dust hood that you can affix to the little end stop that comes with the sander. You can also just mount it to the hole the end stop screws in to with the stock wingnut...

I sanded a bunch of MDF, and that's what drove me to this :P