FITTING MANY PARTS 3D CUTTING BOARD --- REQUESTING ADVICE

gppatnude

I am in the process of making a 3D cutting board, as shown in the video at the YouTube link <<

I have watched the video at least 3x thru and until today, thought I understood the process fairly well. 

Cutting all the diamond shapes turned out to be not quite as simple as the video shows.  I have the DOUBLE DUBBY from In-Line Industries and used his example of cutting multiple segments for bowl, but by not flipping the stock after each cut, the result is a diamond not a wedge.  My stop slipped during the process of cutting the diamonds and I had to create a jig to hold each small diamond and process each one a second time in order to get them all to be identical. 

I am at the point where I have cut  and glued the diamond shapes into hexagons and now I am facing the task of gluing the hexagons together to make the board, but I need some suggestions because, the wood, being imperfect, and me, being more-so, resulted in hexagons that are not perfect. 

So, here is my plea for help:

I need a reasonably simple but sure approach to fitting all these &^%!** hexagons together without gaps. 

I have glue and plenty of clamps and am not really in a panic to finish, but would like to complete this project in less than a century, preferably by mid-March.  It is a gift for my daughter. 

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

an easier way to make the same board is shown in the video link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n0LdU8ZOJU&index=7&list=PLgmzUgmQUtDMG92SbPpTe4ecHYESKeHuB

this fella is the master of endgrain chopping boards, and his method for the same pattern is explained in the video.

sorry gppatnude, i know you are too deep into your build for this to help, but maybe next time....

he has a bunch of 3D designs and anyone wanting to make a patterned chopping board should check him out, even if chopping boards are not your thing, his videos are pretty good

cheers rosey

I made this one about 1 1/2 years ago. I'll take a pic tonight and post it tomorrow.

I found that by making a sled at that angle and not by tilting the blade, and using a stop block, I was able to make more accurate. For lack of knowing any better, I used the rubber band method shown in the video, starting by gluing the three different pieces together until I thought I had enough, then gluing three of those together using the rubber bands as clamps.

I think I did finally make a jig/clamping table after it got so large.

I also found that getting each glue up just right is critical to the next. I got in a hurry there at the last and ended up having to re-cut some pieces.

I also tried to make the following one and it was even harder to keep the pieces from slipping during glue up. I still have bags of cut pieces that I never finished.

http://lumberjocks.com/RetiredCoastie/blog/27568

an easier way to make the same board is shown in the video link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n0LdU8ZOJU&index=7&list=PLgmzUgmQUtDMG92SbPpTe4ecHYESKeHuB

this fella is the master of endgrain chopping boards, and his method for the same pattern is explained in the video.

sorry gppatnude, i know you are too deep into your build for this to help, but maybe next time....

he has a bunch of 3D designs and anyone wanting to make a patterned chopping board should check him out, even if chopping boards are not your thing, his videos are pretty good

cheers rosey

Like your handle!