Powermatic PM2800B Drill Press

Tom Cancelleri

PM drill presses are essentially like all others in that price range. They are nothing special and are just OK. Many expect a great drill press for that sort of money but in reality its not going to happen. A truly good drill press will cost 3 times that amount. They are plenty good enough for most every one but will have little things that bother folks. They need to have the adjustable pulley lubricated on a regular schedule if not they will start to bind. The tool free chucks are just ok they don't grip as tightly as a good chuck. All in all I think you will be more than happy with it.

Agree with Don...they're disappointing.  I have the regular 2800...I don't know what kind of improvements they made on the 2800B but I hope they're significant.  I don't have any huge complaints about mine...just fit and finish really.  Surprisingly Mickey Mouse for the cost.  The fence is not 90* to the table and I could think of no way to remedy that aside from blue tape.  I'm planning to build a new fence eventually.

All that said, it gets the job done and if you can get a good price on a lightly used one it's probably a no-brainer.  But it is one purchase that I somewhat regret...I surely could have saved some money buying a different make.  But it is done.

In short...they look a lot cooler than they actually are.

I have used a bench top for years and years and have never ever though of upgrading or wanting a stand alone. His reason for selling sounds unreal about shop space. Drill press has a small foot print . Why would he sell it? Probably paid all that money for a mustard color machine, to drop a seldom amount of holes in wood.  Not enough juice for the squeeze in my book.

Hope you get it for a good price.

-Ace-  

The good news: as a woodworking drill press, the 2800b is just fine... The bad: It’s quite expensive for what it is (it's not a metal working DP) and PM had issues with the first two (and probably three) production batches… I recounted this odyssey in a post from ‘13 – Google is your friend… There were issues with the variable drive train, spindle/arbor/taper assembly runout, and/or laser guides (different problems in each batch). PM suspended production for six (or more) months to get the kinks out. During this time, quite a few floor model, demo and talking-head/sponsorship units were sold (read as unloaded before the issues were made public and their owners got stuck with a lemon). Based on SN ranges, I think there are around 750 of these units floating around. Some six plus months after my order was placed (and cc charged), it was fulfilled with one of the first units of the second/third production run (some of which had laser issues – mine included). If evaluating a used unit, look for serial number 13060729 or later… Units much before this will be from the suspect batches… They could have been retrofitted and be just fine, or not… Caveat Emptor…

Note: the 2800B is a woodworking/DIY drill press, not suficient power/runout/etc for metalworking, machinist, etc... A lot of bad press came from those expecting a low-end machinest-grade press (based on price) and were disappointed (based on quality)… Unfortunately many somehow believe you could get a machinest press for $1300 -- not going to happen -- even used... My knits to pick: it’s expensive for what it is, the table is too small and the chuck (Woodstock) is just lacking… Not much I could do about price, but the other two items got addressed: BB overlay to address the small table and a Jacobs JKP/HP for the chuck…

My other option is a Jet JDP-17. For the PM, what would you say is a fair price to pay? It's in like new condition. 

http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/jet-716300#specs

Im sure you will be happy with either. The jet does not have as much power but I don't think that will make much difference. Unless you intend to use something like a hinge boring head I doubt you will need the extra hp.

Decided on the Jet. Ordered it this morning, except it's not part of Jet's 15% off sale since it's a new model. My main reason against getting the powermatic... Reeve's drive speed adjustment. I am not a fan of it on a lathe, I'm sure I'm not gonna like it on a drill press. Generally they are prone to sticking and not being reliable. 

• Like 2