got quilt?

Brendon_t

I do. A trip to wood craft over the weekend for a bevel gauge and fold out plastic rule found me leaving with neither since they were out but but I did snatch this block of quilted maple off of the pallet as they offloaded.

Now that I have a band saw ( as of yesterday) I'm seeing pieces of wood then being inspired to build something out of it instead of having a project in mind and finding wood to fit.

What do you see this piece turning into?

The block is 9.5" x 3.75" by 22"

post-16319-0-17998800-1424976823_thumb.j

I don't wanna rain on your parade, and it really makes no difference if that board tickles your fancy...it's a cool piece of wood, but it's not really quilted.  It's perfectly flat sawn with curl through it, which gives the illusion of light quilting.  There's no mistaking a truly quilted board when you see one.  It's deeply layered with blisters and is extremely three dimensional even in the raw.  The round blisters are a product of figure as opposed to grain.

Were they selling it as quilted maple, or something else?...just out of curiosity.

Beautiful piece of wood!

I wasn't sure of the true definition of quilted maple so I looked it up on The Wood Database. Below is what I found.

Quilted maple is so named for its resemblance to patchwork patterns seen on fabric quilts. Much like birdseye maple, the figure on quilted maple becomes most pronounced when the board has been flatsawn, which is the opposite of curly maple, which becomes most prominent when quartersawn. Alternate names and sub-categories for this type of figuring include blistered, curly-quilt, sausage-quilt, tubular-quilt, and angel-step.

I really don't know if Eric is correct or The Wood Database. All I know is you have a beautiful piece of wood there!

I think Mike's link makes the most sense and allows for some variation, which is probably the best way to look at it since figure varies so much.  But when I think of quilted maple, I think of what they're calling "flatsawn quilt," which has the most identifiable quilted figure.  Everything between the classic quilt and classic curl, I just default to "figure," generically.

I don't agree with the Wood Database's claim that curl is more or less prominent in flat or quartersawn wood.  It looks different because the grain is different, but it's no more or less prominent.  It would be disappointing to find out that they don't know the difference between curl and medullary rays, which ARE more prominent - and ONLY prominent - in quartersawn lumber of certain species.  With curl it makes no difference, at least that I've seen after sifting through thousands of curly maple boards.

• Like 1

Officially the Wood data base is correct. Unofficially its all marketing, depends on who you talk to, what day of the week it is, wether or not its a leap year or near a full moon some times it depends on wether the guy that labels is hanging to the left or the right. This has been debated for decades. Really its figured wood, you either like it and the price or you dont.

I'm giving myself permission to use Marcs photo

Eric, this is what I picture when you describe quilt.

I know mine doesn't stack up but I think it's still quite pretty and will make a great addition to something. . Just haven't decided what yet.

Eric stole my thunder, as I was about to say I think it would make a great addition to my shop, so.... I won't :wacko:

nice board brendon, that will be a challenge to plane. i made a table and chairs for the grandkids with a maple board i found at my local supplier. a friend has a planer with a spiral head

cutter and we planed it with that then sent it thru his 2' drum sander. i think all of us has a few boards at the bottom of the pile that we are saving for that special project. 

That Looks great. Are the ends bread boards or is it picture frame set?

I'm not planning on planing it. My lunchbox planer would tear it to shreds before exploding.

I've got a simple sled for the drum sander I will use with some playing cards and hot glue to flatten and thickness it. I'm thinking about making the drawer fronts on the pagoda jewelry box from a bit of it