Backyard english walnut coming down. what to do with it?

nod

My neighbor is offering to clear an english walnut tree on their (overhanging our) fence line that will thankfully open up our view. It's no prize winner in terms of old growth and size, but I was thinking some material could be used for spoon making, and I may be able to get some ok stock out of the trunk for a small project or two. I realize time needed to dry and yield will be long and low. I realize buying good stock from the retailer is a smarter choice for most project needs. In the end though, I think it would be interesting to do something with this material vs just turn it into firewood. If it's just spoons and a jewelry box I'd be satisfied.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to handle the material once felled (right word usage there?). Do I split it into quarters to let dry? leave as logs? do I have to saw into mini slabs/boards and then let dry? Any helps is appreciated. I want to have an idea of what to do before he takes it down and chops it into small unusable bits.

If you have access to a mill and can get it there, it would probably be fun but expensive ($100 hr. here) to get it milled. Smaller pieces and you have a band saw, you might could handle yourself. I think general rule is drying time of 1" Per inch thickness, but that could vary. If these or others are not options, let it go to the landfill and die naturally. I would suspect using walnut as firewood is a hanging offense

Thanks for the info guys. Cooper, around here walnut is pretty regular firewood option if you can believe it! apple, oak, walnut - those are the pretty typical hard firewood options in this part of CA. 

I have a bandsaw and will probably try to mill up some boards. I have to take another look, but the trunk it's too much to handle/make some quarter sawn stuff I would think. I'll check for Roys' inspiration, but I'm thinking some kitchen utensils, slab cutting boards are easy options for gifts at least. 

Thanks for the info guys. Cooper, around here walnut is pretty regular firewood option if you can believe it! apple, oak, walnut - those are the pretty typical hard firewood options in this part of CA. 

I have a bandsaw and will probably try to mill up some boards. I have to take another look, but the trunk it's too much to handle/make some quarter sawn stuff I would think. I'll check for Roys' inspiration, but I'm thinking some kitchen utensils, slab cutting boards are easy options for gifts at least. 

That was going to be my suggestion...cut some logs you can manage and then quarter sawn them on the bandsaw.   I'm curious to hear suggestions on how to get logs from the kill site to the bandsaw.  What is considered manageable in conjunction with the method used to get them to your shop and what your bandsaw can handle. 

With anything particular? just whatever latex paint i have laying around ok?

I had the best luck with Anchorseal, as soon as possible. Thoroughly coat both ends. If you go the latex paint route use at least 2 full coats.

For smaller planks and turning blocks weigh them as accurately as possible and record it, when the weight stabilizes after a year per inch drying time you are close to dry. That's when a moisture meter really gives you a good idea where the level is.