D.C. Tophat question

nateswoodworks

My son and I recently made a tophat for my DC, it works great but I am getting a little that still gets to the bag. I filled the garbage can twice now and there is about 1 1/2 cups of sawdust in the bag, is that more or the same as what you guys get? I think I'm going to extend the outlet fitting so it's about an inch from the baffle, it's a little over 2" from it now (it's what I had on hand) and I think some is just sneaking right up and out instead of making the trip around the diameter of the tophat and dropping into the can, how far is the outlet pipe from the baffle on yours? The sides on mine are metal so I can't see what's happening, I wanted to go with clear sides (mainly so my son would think it was cooler) but couldn't justify the +$50 for it! It works great but I would like to eliminate the bottom bag completely but want to get the material that passes by to a minimum first. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest the 1.5 cups per 2 garbage bags would be around 99.5% without going into specific mathematics on volume.

3/4 cup to one garbage bin.

lets say 100 x's 3/4 cup = 300/4 cups. = 75 cups = 1%.

150 cups = 0.5%.

So, my garbled maths reckons that if you could fit 149 cups of dust into your garbage bin, you would be 99.5% efficient...sounds pretty good to me.

• Like 1