Shop cleaning and rearranging day.

Tom Cancelleri

Bought some oak, rejected some air dried walnut.. My wood guy attempted to get me drunk this morning, damn near succeeded, now cutting parts for a small cabinet project, and a back piece for my dresser build, and going to chainsaw a bunch of downed trees from that last ice storm we had... Then I'll be looking for something to do.

• Like 1

In its new home. Now I need to change the GFI outlet so the lathe can work. Since it's a 3 phase motor and uses an inverter to allow for the electronic speed control. The inverter trips GFI outlets. 

@Eric, pro tip, find the spot you want your lathe in, and be certain of that spot. Leveling and moving is a real PITA.

@Eric, pro tip, find the spot you want your lathe in, and be certain of that spot. Leveling and moving is a real PITA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought leveling a wood lathe was fairly unnecessary...as long as there's no twist in the bed and the headstock and tailstock line up perfectly, what's the difference if it's level or not?

On a brighter note, there's exactly one place in my shop where my lathe will fit...after I move my bench to its new home  :unsure: ...that's gonna be really weird.

I am going out to the shop.  One advantage of living in California, the weather hardly ever becomes an excuse for not being able to go out to the shop.  I feel for all you guys in the east and mid-west that are getting blasted with this cold weather.  Although we could use some rain out here... fourth year of a drought, lawns dying everywhere.  Anyway out to the shop.

No, they've been on the upgrades list for a long time but I never pulled the trigger. My blades are getting pretty dull on both machines, so I figured instead of going through the routine again...why not just blow a thousand dollars to fix it once and for all? :mellow:

How long till the shelix heads go completely dull compared to normal blades?

I spent my time making an essential oils holder for the wife. It's ready for stain tonight or tomorrow morning.

I spent my time making an essential oils holder for the wife. It's ready for stain tonight or tomorrow morning.

Probably shouldn't ask, but what are essential oils?

In my shop?  Tough to put it into hard numbers...but I assume I'll have a lot more gray hairs and I'll probably be considerably fatter, slower and dumber by the time I need to replace the cutters...with the exception of a nicked one here and there.  Straight knives usually last at least a year in my shop before I have to sharpen them...the carbide inserts last much longer than the HSS knives, then multiply that by four.

• Like 1

The guy I bought my jointer from ran a small 3 person shop that did custom offices and stuff for politicians. On the helical jointer I bought from him he said he hadn't ever turned the carbide inserts (which is true) he had the machine about 4 years and it was still going strong. There was 1 insert with a nick on it. I turned all the inserts about a year and a half ago. Cuts are still clean. 

So far today I've cleaned my router table, cleaned and lubed the router lift. Dismantled and cleaned my drum sander. Found my stash of new paper for it. Changed the paper in my drum sander, lubed any bushings and bearings, threaded rods, etc. Right now it's lunch time. Eating some chili, some guacamole I just made, and drinking a beer. I'm getting excited to see the light at the end of the tunnel and have my shop done. It's been a long year of progress with a lot of hiccups along the way.