Essential oils stand.

bushwacked

Well I told the wife I was bored and got one of the better Honey-Dos in awhile. I got put to work making her an essential oil stand.

So I came up with a pyramid type design with it. Pretty basic for the most part with a couple accent lines cut into it I am thinking. Just going to be a little tougher since the wife wants some stain on the basic pine.

325b97656006f6d4a6324ff4c2f8c900.jpg

I got 3 9x3 1/2 boards for the base. 2 9x3 1/2 boards in the middle and 1 9x3 1/2 board on the top.

Not sure if I will keep the 90degree look to it or try something else to help break up the basic look. Maybe a 45 cut going up the edges?

6660bfbc8c6f79bfc9b95b5dd23e1c65.jpg

Here are the 2 accent pieces I am hoping to work into it. The stain part I think may ruin that idea but I'm holding out hope.

I don't know how I would be able to stain and keep the accent. I would think I'd need 2 different colors of wood to pull that off and not the stain route. Since I most likely will need to sand once I get them in.

You'd have to stain and let it dry before assembly. Depending on how you are planning on implementing the accent piece. If you're doing spline or something you can stain before putting in the splines. Same thing goes for inlays.

I was going to do like the cutting boards and cut a wavy line or 2 through it.

My only question is...what the hell is essential oil? 10W-30 and 3-in-1?

Haha some oil crap she puts in a diffuser and it diffuses it into the air. It suppose to do a lot of things with all sorts of different oils. So who knows. It got me shop time so that's all I care about.

So here is the basic layout. All done flying the 2 sections. Now need to sand before I glue again.

4e0c3354ceee1630d455aa8fd20b2df3.jpg

1c7b943d863b2cc191b76ca4f67a7020.jpg

I am trying to break up the boxy'ness of it. Just not sure what to do. Or would this layout look fine? There is just not enough space to make any type of angle cut that would go to the top.

If you are going to stain pine, be sure to give the wood a coat of 1# cut of shellac and lightly sand it before staining. Cuts down on blotching on pine and a lot of other woods.

Rog

Thanks for the info. I'll give that a go on my test strip

My experience has been that pine responds well to darkening with iron acetate. Very even tone, no blotching.

Wow that's actually a really cool look!!

bbedb9b1984b92972bbcadbce3775326.jpg

Is that about right?

Looks complicated. Just soak a pad of 0000 steel wool in a quart of apple cider vinegar for a couple of days, then pour the liquid through a paint filter. Apply liberally to the wood surface. Pine has a lower tannin content, so wait and watch for the wood to darken to the shade you like. Might take several days. In my experience, the darkening seems to halt once the surface is sealed from air exposure.

Pieces I have done migrated from raw wood to a weathered gray, then to tan, then to dark brown.

Looks complicated. Just soak a pad of 0000 steel wool in a quart of apple cider vinegar for a couple of days, then pour the liquid through a paint filter. Apply liberally to the wood surface. Pine has a lower tannin content, so wait and watch for the wood to darken to the shade you like. Might take several days. In my experience, the darkening seems to halt once the surface is sealed from air exposure.

Pieces I have done migrated from raw wood to a weathered gray, then to tan, then to dark brown.

Oh that's a lot easier than what I found haha. Very nice!

How about disposal of left over? Is it safe or do I just keep forever?

25d8cf97b339c38af1d6d459e3e80b54.jpg

The actual essential oils and the varieties.

a84df865b1e0ed418c216c2f2f623e87.jpg

Testing hole size on scrap

7eea75ab4ae4e7ff6d434dceede88c5e.jpg

Possible layout option. Or not sure if I want to stagger to get more space for bottles in the future but that seems like a little too much for now. I'm thinking I'll just build another one if she outgrows this.

Yeah...lest I offend our good buddy Bushy, I'll refrain from judgment...but I can feel a sneeze coming on just looking at those bottles. I'm not a fan of those kinds of "smells." Glade plug-ins make my nose run and my teeth hurt.

Haha no worries. I give my wife just as hard of a time for it.

Drill some extra spots, but drilling too many might be seen as encouragement to expand the collection.

Ya that is what I am worried about haha.