GF Salad Bowl

Boatworks Today

I have used the Watco cutting board and salad bowl finish many times. It's basically a wiping varnish oil blend that is food safe when cured. Thin coats and let them soak in, light scuff between coats just like the instructions on the can say.

Pretty sure they are similar products.

• Like 1

Hey Boatworks... I have used the GF Saladbowl finish quite a lot. As far as sheen goes it is somewhat like a semi-gloss to satin depending on the surface. I usually flood the surface and let it soak then wet sand, I do 2 or 3 coats with the final being a wipe on for a nice sheen. I typically use it on turned bowls I know will be used with food products and I have used it thinned 50/50 with mineral spirits as a soaking finish for cutting boards. The boards I have prepped this way have held up very well.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys; I guess specifically I'm wondering if it highlights the grain like a typical oil finish or if it's more muted in appearance? This is for a highly figured piece of red oak (if it were white I'd fume it and go through that process) so really want to highlight the fleck as much as possible with a simple food safe finish #oxymoron. :-). I know, red oak.. Normally I don't like it, but QS is a different animal ( plus I have a ton of it)