Dust Collector Ducting

ChrisG-Canada

I tried searching to see if this was already discussed, but the search tool isn't my friend today...

I'm planning the install of an Oneida 3HP V-3000 (newest version) that should be delivered within the next few weeks. I've been doing a LOT of reading/research regarding ducting materials, sizes, etc.

I actually think I have a pretty good handle on a proper layout for my shop space but I am confused about ducting sizes. As far as I can tell (without having the V-3000 in my possession) the inlet is 7". Is there any reason, other than cost savings, I wouldn't want to maintain 7" duct size for all horizontal AND vertical runs of the ducting? I will have to reduce down the the machine port sizes eventually, but I'm planning to do that as close to the machines as possible - hopefully no more than 6' of flex hose at maximum.

In most examples I've seen of properly designed systems, the main horizontal trunk matches the DC inlet size but the vertical runs are usually 1" or 2" smaller down to the blast gates at each machine. Is there any reason to reduce the ducting size for the vertical run?

Final question (at least for now), since my inlet is 7" and IF I can't get 7" ducting, should I use 8" or 6"?

==>Is there any reason, other than cost savings, I wouldn't want to maintain 7" duct size for all horizontal AND vertical runs of the ducting?

Yes.... You'll have a clean shop, but still have to use a respirator because your system won't collect fine dust...

For a bit of background:

==>Is there any reason to reduce the ducting size for the vertical run?

Yes.

==>no more than 6' of flex hose

Try for 4'

==>IF I can't get 7" ducting

You can get 7" ducting...

I should hopefully be ducting my v3000 soon and i called oneida this past week amd spoke to them about this. Lisa told me that when i wye off of my main i should drop down from 6" to 5" because this increases velocity. System is not as efficient if you run full size the whole way.