Dipping my toesies in hot hide glue

Tony Wilkins

==>192 gram strength hot hide glue from TFWW. Know there's cheaper options but got a hold heet glue pot as well

I use the same stuff from the same source... If you've got a basement shop, you may want to wait for the kids to be out of the house -- or be prepared to explain why fluffy is turned into stinky glue... :)

The instant setup may come as a bit of a shock… It’s great for no-clamp miters… I use it when making a bunch of boxes or batch of Chippendale feet… You’ve got to be a bit careful with dovetailed drawers until you get comfortable with the stuff – the fast tack can get in the way…

That's what I use too.  I use so little, that I couldn't justify the dedicated pot, so mine gets heated in a cobbled up double boiler with a grilling thermometer in the water.  When it's stringy, and the water's been 140 for a few minutes, it's ready.

Have either of you tried liquid hide glue? Does it perform the same way?

It has preservatives, and I don't know what else in it, but the working time goes from a few minutes to about 30.  There are multiple strengths of regular hide glue available, and I've never seen the strength of the bottled stuff listed anywhere.

Finally decided to take the plunge: ordered some 192 gram strength hot hide glue from TFWW. Know there's cheaper options but got a hold heet glue pot as well.

Don't use 'hot' unless you KNOW whatever you're gluing up is going to go together perfectly (trial assembly!).  And make sure your shop is warm and the wood is warm.  This glue seizes very rapidly this time of year.  It can be a great help, but it can be a recipe for disaster, too.