Dining room table, template to learn...

rmartuszewski

Ok so shot glass rack done, router table done for use, but still needs some work.

Dining room table and chairs is going to be a great platform to learn. I bought this tonight for $40 on a Facebook yardsale page locale to me.

1. Going to use this table and chairs to do and learn many things. Going to route the banding style edge gone, to route a new decorative design in it.

2. Going to sand everything, then wood fill it, so going to research what and how best to do that.

3. Debating on wood inlay banding. But the catch, I am going to make my own banding. Been itching to do this. And love the look.

4. Wife is going to reupholster the seats, but not learning as she already knows how lol.

5. Staining, not learning but going to try some new stuff, maybe do a dye instead. Yes test pieces first lol.

6. Sealing and top coat, going to research this and learn what best to do depending on what I color it with and how.

7. Legs being fixed. Going to track down within my local woodworkers guild from meetup (I just joined a group) and try my hand at wood turning the legs. Dogs from sellers chewed the legs.

*** Big question, what is Kuliwood?  Table has label on bottom, says made in China (blah hate it). So going to try and research that wood and how it works and preforms.

post-17161-0-64240000-1425354971_thumb.j

post-17161-0-28395100-1425354974_thumb.j

I used to have a very similar table from Ashley furniture.  The top had the same design, but with a removable leaf.  My legs were more of a simplified cabriole style.   I am pretty sure the top is veneered MDF.   Usually the veneers are thin.  you can easily sand down to the glue layer (meaning what is left is a mixture of glue and veneer).  Dyes won't penetrate that as readily.  You will need to use a stain that sits on top or a toned top coat to add color.   Just something to look out for.    

Veneer will still have grain.  In fact it looks like some of the veneer is chipped off in the first photo.   But it can be hard to tell from a picture and pretty obvious in person.  If you see end grain at the end of the table and the bottom is wood grain as well, you are probably looking at solid wood.  If the bottom is MDF then you are looking at a veneer.  

Rather than sanding your way through the finish, I'd get some chemical stripper and remove 99%, then tackle with a sander... The stuff's caustic, so use some kitchen-duty rubber gloves... You will save yourself a lot of sandpaper...

I have used that type of stuff before many of times. Always damages the wood more than my liking. Going to use the belt sander with 180 grit belt. And not use any pressure down, and then follow that up with 220 grit on the orbital sander. Also most if not at least 90% of the clear finish is warn off already, so quick work.

• 5 years later...

Hello I was researching this exact table that you were refinishing 3/3/15.  (Kuliwood Ashley Serengeti)   I have one bad spot on the table top and was wondering about having someone refinish the top for me or possibly just repair the damaged area.   How did your sanding and refinishing project turn out.   Do you have any advice for me when looking for a refinished?   I love the table and very upset that I wrecked the finish   Thank you 

That post is over 5 years old, and he hasn't been on this site for years.

46 minutes ago, Nancie Bogardus said:

Hello I was researching this exact table that you were refinishing 3/3/15.  (Kuliwood Ashley Serengeti)   I have one bad spot on the table top and was wondering about having someone refinish the top for me or possibly just repair the damaged area.   How did your sanding and refinishing project turn out.   Do you have any advice for me when looking for a refinished?   I love the table and very upset that I wrecked the finish   Thank you