Tried and true finish?

rodger.

Which finish do you mean?  I have tried the 'Original', and the 'Varnish Oil'.   I quite liked the varnish oil, though I would be curious how it would compare to a BLO/mineral spirits/varnish home brew.  I struggled with the original T&T, but it is one I liked some elements of and would consider trying again for a traditional Shaker finish.

In my 10 years on woodworking forums I can't remember a single project someone posted that was finished with it. Doesn't mean it's not a good finish but I would stick with what others have had a lot of success with. You can't go wrong with arm-R-seal or Waterlox for oil and a lot of good waterborne finishes out there. Nothing wrong with experimenting but I would try and master a few instead of having a cabinet full of a dozen finishes.

In my 10 years on woodworking forums I can't remember a single project someone posted that was finished with it. Doesn't mean it's not a good finish but I would stick with what others have had a lot of success with. You can't go wrong with arm-R-seal or Waterlox for oil and a lot of good waterborne finishes out there. Nothing wrong with experimenting but I would try and master a few instead of having a cabinet full of a dozen finishes.

I have my go to finishes and routines, but thought about trying a more "natural" finish. I was specifically referring to the oil and varnish mixture when I mentioned "tried and true". I could probably just go with shellac, but thought I would see if anyone had experience with the "T and T".

I've been using the T&T Original for about a year and I like it.  I bought it for a project that was not food related but required an all-natural finish.  It's a total PITA to apply over large areas and offers very little protection (that is, NO protection), so I only use it on very small projects that don't require a film finish.  It's a thick, gooey gel (especially in a cold shop!) and you have to rub it in vigorously and wipe clean thoroughly.  But it's a very earthy finish with low sheen...right up my alley.  I used it on these reindeer...this is after one coat...I usually apply two...

DSC_00052-1.jpg