Looking for ideas for a massive dining table

allencrane

I'm a little stuck in the design phase for my next build and my wife had the great idea to put it out to the guild and fellow woodworkers for ideas. I am building a massive 7' x 7' square dining table, and I've decided to use 2" thick select walnut butcher block for the top. This is primarily due to me wanting to maximize my chances of that much surface area (49 sqft) ending up flat. Also, given the table's size, I am looking for ways to enhance the design so it's not too plain. The only design decisions I am convinced of so far are:

7' x 7' square

pedestal base to maximize legroom and keep knees from hitting table legs

4" wide apron all the way around to make table look thicker

Other than that, I'm open to thoughts on the top. My wife has a traditional Mexican talavera set, so can't be too modern in style. I also think Greene and Greene elements would be a great touch, borrowing some ideas from the Robinson House table, for example. 

Pinterest has some ideas too, though nothing yet has hit me as "the" table. 

https://www.pinterest.com/search/?q=square%20dining%20table

I would love to see any pics of tables you have made, design ideas for future table projects, or suggestions for my build. I'll be posting my progress along the way too.

Thanks in advance!

Allen

What about doing some kind of wide inlaid banding toward the edges of the table?  Maybe a 2-3" wide band all around the table with a wide strip of cherry sandwiched between narrow little strips of maple?   Add some color contrast and visual interest.  Might look too busy with the butcher block aesthetic though.  

Like this:

4695-1-Kindel-Inlaid-Regency-Dining-Tabl

Not sure what the rules are for using Internet photos - mods let me know if this isn't kosher and I'll remove it.  Got the image from http://onlycornerstone.com/wp-content/uploads/4695-1-Kindel-Inlaid-Regency-Dining-Table.jpg

Make the top in two or more pieces to get it through the door or out of your shop. Also the underframe may need to have some method of disassembly maybe by making the legs removable. That way the frame can be turned on a diagonal to get through a standard door. Future generations will thank you for it.

On that size of table a pedestal base may be too unstable as you still need to think about centre of gravity, people leaning on it, unequally distributed loading etc. If you have legs at all four corners you may also need legs in the centre of the span otherwise the aprons will have to be that thick that you won't be able to get your legs under it.

Like to see what you come up with,

• 4 months later...

Wanted to give you all an update on the table...it's coming along. The top is now 4 sections of butcher block counter top, the base is a cross-shaped lattice so as to spread the weight across more square footage, and the steel frame is just more support for the top and helps to secure it to the base. Still to go are the side aprons to give it a look of about 4" thick. I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. 680c64b470b2706d400243f7e00a5952.jpge8fcacab873d65db050b920a3aed1b68.jpg205744da873b97d5b483260d9ef10adb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@shaneymack, @wtnhighlander... Thank you! Finish is Tru-Oil gunstock finish, approx 7 coats. I am still on the fence with elongating the holes. As the top is 1-1/2" thick and may be as stable as a workbench top. That said, I'm actually thinking about tapping the top from the underside with 5/16" threads so I can use threaded bolts to attach the frame to the top, a la my bench crafted workbench vises. Do you think I risk catastrophic wood movement? The Tru-Oil finish is on all sides so as to equalize moisture in all directions.

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome table.  I am actually in the planning stages to build one very similar, just in a regular 4'x8' size.  I do have a question though.  For all the pieces of wood, did you just glue them all together, or did you use another method to help keep them aligned and tight?  I'm not sure if you would really want to use dowels, dominos, or even screws to help the glue.

If I was building a top that massive,  I'd be gluing it up in 12" sections leaving it as thick as possible for future tinkering. 

The strips look to be about 1.25-1.75" thick.  That's a lot of strips to try and keep aligned. I would personally be using SOME sort of alignment aids. 

• 3 months later...

Update on the table...it's done! And just in time for Thanksgiving! I think it turned out nice, and my wife loves it. Special thanks to all of you who offered your ideas and encouragement for this beast of a project!

IMG%7Boption%7D

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/25/2f4cb0a6d67b8fe632619cdca7e4606d.jpg%7Boption%7D

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/25/e51834e1f7ccd4a3dba9b0f00c531ac6.jpg%7Boption%7D

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/25/ecb98e9caca5fa40b77ad7d96fac595c.jpg]

• Like 1