OMG FWW website

rodger.

YES! Plus I always find it difficult to log in to and the search function never works. access to all the archives is a great deal but man they are making it more and more loaded with crap.

I had signed up for the"extra" monthly membership so I could watch the videos that they tease you with in the magazine. After 1 day I cancelled it. Couldn't take all the pop ups either. Don't put stuff in the magazine, and then, expect us to have to pay even more to access the video etc. online. I really wanted to watch Philip C Lowe build his project. I guess I'll just have to drive the 3 miles to his shop/school and have him show me in person!  :D

I'm using Chrome with the Adblock Plus extension on a mac.  I might see 2 pop ups a month total.  Must be the Adblock extension keeping me from seeing them.  I love going to the FWW site on Saturday morning when they post a fresh batch of videos.

• Like 1

I found this  forum before I had even heard of the web site and I have only made it past this forum in too the site twice.

You are confusing TWW (The Wood Whisperer) for FWW (Fine Wood Working.) Sometimes PWW (Popular Wood Working) also makes an appearance.

You are confusing TWW (The Wood Whisperer) for FWW (Fine Wood Working.) Sometimes PWW (Popular Wood Working) also makes an appearance.

You are right, I was, I just spent a few minutes trolling around the TWW and never did see a pop up, apparently I never have been to the FWW site. Not all that interested in the finite details of classic wood working, I just hang out here for the advice and cool people, LOL

==>I cant handle FWW's website anymore
==>Adblock Plus

Both of you are spot-on: FWW's site is crap -- full stop... At this point, Taunton should just admit that Ed was a mistake and move on…

The only way I ever visit the site (and I actually pay for the privilege) is with ABP enabled… I use FireFox...

Now before you all go hog-wild, ABP has its problems – you have to be aware what it’s doing ---  you can miss important content and some (most?) websites will behave slightly strangely: unusual fonts, slightly odd page layout, etc… Plus, you are now double-processing every byte of content --- But it’s worth it – trust me.. :)

<edit>

Sorry, Ed Pirnik @ FWW - Fine Wood Working and Shop Talk Live Web Producer Ed Pernik -- i.e. their 'web' guy...

You are right, I was, I just spent a few minutes trolling around the TWW and never did see a pop up, apparently I never have been to the FWW site. Not all that interested in the finite details of classic wood working, I just hang out here for the advice and cool people, LOL

Ah, someone who's smarter than he looks.......Just kidding Raef   The fine woodworking site also hits you with cookies and their ads pop up even when your not on the site!..

• Like 1

I have no problem with them making a living off their content. But they should spare paying members some of the ads. Their content is worth the $$ in my opinion, in fact I'd pay double or triple if they optimized the site and dropped the ads for paying members.

I'm hanging on to FWW subscriptions by a thread.  I enjoy the magazine while pooping but honestly don't get all that much out of it.  On rare occasion I'll go to the website and dig around for something or another...and it is definitely a terrible site.  I generally like the guys and their content is okay...but I think if there were any better alternatives I'd drop them like a hot brick.  I won't be renewing the online subscription anymore.  Getting rid of the mag would make me feel kind of dirty inside.  It's like a woodworker's obligation or something to get those stupid things in the mail every month.

I do find the amount of ads to be annoying, but I think that is a function of being in an archaic industry (print publications) with a topic that is not growing (woodworking).  I think they are trying to find revenue wherever they can.  I often wonder if FWW and PW are in race to see which one can last longer, knowing that there may only be enough of a marketplace for one publication.

Anyway, I can stomach the ads for the content.  I am a big Mike Pekovich fan.

I do find the amount of ads to be annoying, but I think that is a function of being in an archaic industry (print publications) with a topic that is not growing (woodworking).  I think they are trying to find revenue wherever they can.  I often wonder if FWW and PW are in race to see which one can last longer, knowing that there may only be enough of a marketplace for one publication.

Anyway, I can stomach the ads for the content.  I am a big Mike Pekovich fan.

I can stomach the ads, but like I said before, once I start paying for content I expect fewer ads.  My favorite magazine is Cooks Illustrated.  I really don't know what my subscription costs but somehow they survice with no advertisements at all.  Their pay site has been a little wonky over the years but they seem to have that worked out.

I think Dan hit it on the head, their big problem is lousy programming.  This is a strategic problem for old guard companies.  Too often they don't want to spend the money to do digital properly or don't have the expertise at the top to make good hiring decisions.  

I think Dan hit it on the head, their big problem is lousy programming.  This is a strategic problem for old guard companies.  Too often they don't want to spend the money to do digital properly or don't have the expertise at the top to make good hiring decisions.

I See this a lot since I'm a web application developer/system architect. Making something that's secure, fast, and scalable isn't cheap or fast. However so much of the web is driven buy sales and marketing people who want everything yesterday. That mentality eventually leads to bloated shoe string code, unless the technical staff is very very assertive.

==>unless the technical staff is very very assertive
The issue is rarely in the hands of the technical staff – how could it be? They have little-to-no control over CAPX/resource allocation... Unless the technical staff’s Sr. Mgmt can make a solid business case for increased development improving top-line opportunity, bottom-line efficiency, customer experience/service, and/or the rest of the business-rational club, then development suffers… And, if you'll forgive a former CIO, so it should… I've been on both sides of this one... Did my time in the engineering and development trenches needing more resources to do a proper job and later as the business guy watching P&L…

What’s been said is spot on: Taunton is a business and needs to make a profit in a shrinking market – they’ve got the hard part down (content), but the basic blocking/tackling of web-delivery is killing them… And then there are the adverts: everyone expects adverts, but consistently having, “you can advertise here for $50” on banner pages is just lame… So is increasing the footprint with multiple flash-based adds per page, a dozen tracking cookies per session, etc.. And can anyone say, “Useless search?”…