General Finishes

Chet

I am using General Finishes Enduro Var for the finish on a couple of small end tables.  This is the first time I have used this companies' product, and I don't have the equipment yet to do a spray finish, so I will be brushing it on.  In the past I have always used a high quality bristle brush to apply the finish but I noticed that they recommend the foam brush.  Does anyone have experience with this or should I just use a good brush like I have in the past?

I have terrible experience with foam brush application for that particular finish, as well as GF HP and Minwax poluacrylic.  Probably user-error, but I find the foam soaks up all the finish back off the surface if it gets less than saturated and hits an area you already got, especially if you overlap your strokes (which I do). 

Plus, if you push down too hard on the foam, it forces air bubbles through the finish on the brush and it gets weird.

Several sized high quality synthetic brushes on hand always work great for me.    I usually keep a small foam brush on hand as well just to dab off any edge drips.

My opinion - If your technique is already solid with synthetic brushes and water borne finishes, it'll be just fine for enduro-var.  No need to change up for this specific product.

Hopefully Ace chimes in...dude knows his finishes.

A foam brush works fine if you don't overthink it.  The key with a waterbase finish is to lay it down in as few strokes as possible, get full coverage and let it be.  It levels out great on its own.  It looks like crap off the brush, you just need to  walk away and come back in an hour.  It doesn't have the open time like an oil poly, where you can work it and work it until it looks good wet (which is still not necessary, it also levels just fine).

For a wide flat surface, a small paint roller also works.   Watching a flooring crew apply water base finishes will give you some insight.  They just roll it on and keep moving.  

I don't recall seeing they recommend a foam brush on the Enduro-Var? Is that on the can by chance? I mean you can use a synth brush. I know with stains they like to use the foam brush because its easier to move the stain around the piece faster than a synth "hair" brush.

If it make sense for you, get a foam brush and try both on a test board. It's whatever your most comfortable with.

The tech data sheet just indicates brush or roller.  <_<

-Ace-

Thanks guys,  I was going to do a test piece but really prefer a quality bristle brush in this case synthetic. I do use the sponges for interior wall touch up and then just toss it  but I've never used it on a wood finish product.  I am also going to dope an email to General Finishes and get their reasoning.

I haven't taken the plunge into WB finishes yet, so I read up on HP and EV. Looks like good stuff although I'm still not sure when id use each one.

Enduro Var is really $30-isher quart? Wow! I have a question for those who spray it - since you need enough in the spray gun, if you're spraying a small project do you just filter and pour it back into its container?

I haven't taken the plunge into WB finishes yet, so I read up on HP and EV. Looks like good stuff although I'm still not sure when id use each one.

Enduro Var is really $30-isher quart? Wow! I have a question for those who spray it - since you need enough in the spray gun, if you're spraying a small project do you just filter and pour it back into its container?

I'm not a fan of pouring it back in the can with the virgin finish. You will be surprised once you begin your spraying journey. How much finish to use or not to use. Not much is really wasted to get worked up about.

-Ace-

On small projects, like said above. You have to decide if there is enough juice for the squeeze.

Enduro Var is really $30-isher quart? Wow! I have a question for those who spray it - since you need enough in the spray gun, if you're spraying a small project do you just filter and pour it back into its container?

PPS cups help with that. The finish stays good for quite awhile. 

I store left over finishes in mason jars.  I like that they are clear and cheap  (like a buck each).   Just don't let them fall off a shelf.  

I try to plan my projects so I am finishing multiple projects at once.  That way less finish is wasted.