Jet JDP-17 716300 Drill Press

Tom Cancelleri

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tom, for some reason, I'm just seeing this. Great review!

The plate directly below the bit, I'm sure there's a name for it, you said it looks like it's metal. So you can't use fortsner bits with it? As eventually it becomes sacrificial, can you buy replacement plates?

There ya go. We got your name out there, regardless of to how limited audience it might be. Good luck on your job search.

Thanks...definitely appreciated...not in a big rush...however don't ask my wife...

Hijack over Tom ;)

• Like 2

Tom, for some reason, I'm just seeing this. Great review!

The plate directly below the bit, I'm sure there's a name for it, you said it looks like it's metal. So you can't use fortsner bits with it? As eventually it becomes sacrificial, can you buy replacement plates?

Coop, it's more like a self healing fiber plate. You can order new plates. I haven't drilled into it as I always have a piece of scrap board to back it. 

Good idea. A piece of scrap ply is a whole lot cheaper and it keeps the table looking sweet! When, not if, my HF machine goes out, I'm definately going to get one of these. If for nothing else, I like the neon cross hairs :)

• 1 month later...

Update*** After 4 months of having the machine and using it a lot during the Roubo build and some other projects. The drill press is still going strong. I've had to readjust the lasers twice since initial setup. I don't rely on them however. They are great to get in the ballpark of where I need to drill but I always hit my bit into the indent I put in with my center punch. 

Would I recommend it to a friend? Absolutely! I love the table, I've got a 2x2 stick of poplar in the back that I use as a fence until I get around to making a table or something. 

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to bump this to say that I just took delivery of this drill press last night based on Tom's recommendation.  I agree completely with his review - very happy with the tool so far.  Setup was < 15 minutes.  Speed changes are quick.  The table is dead flat and came dead on 90* to the spindle.  The T tracks are great for workholding.  Drilled a few test holes and it laughed at hardwood even with a fairly old bit.

Thanks for the review Tom!

• Like 2