Bandsaw wobble

shaneymack

==>blades are made in house at the dealer i bought the saw from. They sent me both for free with the saw

Something about Greeks and gifts comes to mind… :)

Greeks? Huh? Im not greek.....nor is the blade.....or the saw. Im confused. Maybe cause im sick and feverish this is going over my head......

These are not complicated machines. There are only two things that will cause this problem provided a wheel is not bent. The blade or the lower wheel.

http://youtu.be/Trwa-0V70bY

Pb that saw is blowing my mind. Makes mine look like a childs toy.

As soon as i can get some of these kids to nap (wife is at work) i will drag my sore feverish bones to the shop and see how my blades sit on either wheel. Thanks again for taking the time to film that. Very helpful. Im not new to bandsaws but never had an issue and probably never had my old general tuned up 100%

If band is tracking even we can move on to the toe adjustment but check this first and you can adjust the wobble out provided your wheel is adjustable.

So it seems the blade is even on top and bottom wheel. I took a short video of the blade and the upper wheel while it is running, but can't get it to upload. When looking at the side of the blade it is clearly moving forward and backwards. The upper wheel has the same movement.

That saw sounds bad, like metal sanding metal. There's even a spark at 00:05. Is that blade width supported by your saw (according to the user guide)? Did you follow the blade installation instructions to the letter?

Yes definitely. It supports up to 1 1/4" blades. Tuned it according to manual. Manual also says sparks are normal for a while due to metal on ceramic.

Couple of things…

If the manual says the saw can use a max of 1 ¼ blade, then it’s probably closer to 1” (or perhaps less)… The top spec is more theoretical than practical and falls into that mythical domain, ”The Marketing Zone”…

It appears that the wheel is not moving back and fourth, but the blade is shifting position on the wheel… There are a couple of things to try next – everyone will have their bias… I’d take a look at the lower wheel…

Can you shoot a video of that? You may have to bypass the door interlock…

Couple of things…

If the manual says the saw can use a max of 1 ¼ blade, then it’s probably closer to 1” (or perhaps less)… The top spec is more theoretical than practical and falls into that mythical domain, ”The Marketing Zone”…

It appears that the wheel is not moving back and fourth, but the blade is shifting position on the wheel… There are a couple of things to try next – everyone will have their bias… I’d take a look at the lower wheel…

Can you shoot a video of that? You may have to bypass the door interlock…

Lt18 3000 lower wheel: http://youtu.be/_6cnqLVl71U

saw looks solid. the scraping sound seems to be the blade guide to me, you might consider backing those off so you can hear the saw run and see what the blade and wheel contact sounds like and if there is any bearing noise. I question blade weld or wheel alignment. I have a 14" craftsman that is nearly identical to the Rikon 14" Open Stand 1 HP Bandsaw Model 10-32. it is a cheap hobby grade saw at best, now with that is out of the way, I bought the saw set it up and was ecstatic with it performance/cost ratio and used the saw for around 3 months before I damaged my 1' resaw skip tooth blade, I order a new blade yes it was ordered through craftsman, I don't know who the blade manufacturer was. When I installed the blade I did not have enough adjustment to tension the blade properly, my first thought was when I damaged to blade, I damaged the saw. I started working on the saw I could find nothing wrong and nothing worked, I even disassembled the upper and lower tracking mechanisms and made some minor modifications to the tensioner mechanism before I got this thing working properly. Too late to make a long story short but the problem was the new blade.

saw looks solid. the scraping sound seems to be the blade guide to me, you might consider backing those off so you can hear the saw run and see what the blade and wheel contact sounds like and if there is any bearing noise. I question blade weld or wheel alignment blade. I have a 14" craftsman that is nearly identical to the Rikon 14" Open Stand 1 HP Bandsaw Model 10-32. it is a cheap hobby grade saw at best, now with that is out of the way, I bought the saw set it up and was ecstatic with it performance/cost ratio and used the saw for around 3 months before I damaged my 1' resaw skip tooth blade, I order a new blade yes it was ordered through craftsman, I don't know who the blade manufacturer was. When I installed the blade I did not have enough adjustment to tension the blade properly, my first thought was when I damaged to blade, I damaged the saw. I started working on the saw I could find nothing wrong and nothing worked, I even disassembled the upper and lower tracking mechanisms and made some minor modifications to the tensioner mechanism before I got this thing working properly. Too late to make a long story short but the problem was the new blade.

I will buy another blade and try that but i do think something is not quite right with the saw as well.

If you haven't done it yet, try lowering the blade guard until it touches the table, lock it and see if there's any improvement. That sound makes me think that the blade is touching something in its path.

I had taken it off completely when I changed the blade and tried it out before i put it back. It isnt the guard. I will back off all the guides and film again.

From my Makita's bandsaw user manual:

Before using the tool on an actual workpiece, let it run for
a while. Watch for vibration or wobbling that could
indicate poor installation or a poorly balanced blade.

Yeah, you should try with a blade from another, reputable manufacturer if everything else fails to solve the problem.

What Don’s talking about is spot-on and gets us to the larger issue of wheel alignment… There are a few things we should eliminate prior to jumping the 3rd rail… Note: I think’s it an alignment problem, but you don’t want to have to go there if you can avoid it… From the data we have so far, it could be down to a couple of things:

Blade… Get yourself a new blade around ½” - 3/4” from a reputable source… Doubtful, but a good first place to start…

Tires… Bad tires can also cause similar issues. Spin the wheels by hand and look for problems with the tires (doubtful, but worth a look).

Crowning… Spin the wheels by hand and look for any non-uniformity in the wheels/crown/etc (very rare).

Alignment… It’s too early in the day to talk alignment… I downloaded and read the manual for your saw… Unfortunately, it doesn’t give an alignment procedure… However, from the photos in the manual, the adjustments are unlabeled, but user-accessible…

Unfortunately, 99.999% of wheel alignment info on the internet is wrong. If it’s down to alignment, you need the procedure from the service manual. Call Laguna technical service in California. The Sr. Service Tech is Brian Bennett – he knows what he is doing – that’s who you want… He’ll probably send you the pdf of the relevant section… Unfortunately, it may be in Italian… But then you pdf=>word=>google translator… Not ideal, but it works…

*Note: To get on my soap box for a minute: some years ago, a certain contributing editor (who shall go nameless) at a certain magazine (which shall also go nameless) published a book on band saw setup and use. Unfortunately this book has several sections that are, how shall I put it delicately --- full of crap… This information was taken as gospel and has reposted ever since…