Care to guess? Firewood ID

Brendon_t

When I bought my house years ago there was a fallen tree on it. I cut the branches to use as firewood and have been doing so for quite some time.

I got curious and ran one small 6" diameter piece through the band saw. It looks like ash to me but I'm about an idiot when it comes to wood ID.

My next door neighbor has an ash tree that stands over a hundred feet on his property so I wonder if this could be also.

post-16319-0-52542200-1426201038_thumb.j

post-16319-0-03850000-1426201107_thumb.j

I don't think cedar. Cedar bark is brownish and has stringy peels, up and down the trunk. I've seen enough of it after 30 years of carving decoys from white cedar I've cut myself in local swamps.The bark doesn't look like ash to me. Ash has a uniform pattern of interlocking ridges, similar to Norway Maple. The end grain of the wood has large pores in the springwood, like oak, but without oak's wide rays The bark looks more like maple to me. If the pores on the end grain are invisible to the naked eye, that's a good possibility.

All kinds of trees grow is SoCal that don't grow in the rest of the country.  Most of us are familiar with your typical north american deciduous hardwoods.  You guys get some tropical, non-native and warm weather stuff we don't.   For example, Bay Laurel (aka myrtle) is a west coast species that doesn't grow in the rest of the country.  Your wood kind of looks like that.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/laurel,%20california.htm

http://www.finewoodworking.com/membership/fwnpdf/011200074.pdf