Sculpted centerpiece bowl

wtnhighlander

Sidetrack for a moment...the Ridgid belt/spindle sander I ordered arrived today. Got it assembled according to the instructions, and the motor just grunts, and starts to smell after a few seconds. Spindle turns with relatively little effort by hand, but just twitches with the motor. Guess I'll be sending it back tomorrow, dangit!

Back on track, I put another coat of Watco on the bowl. I'm thinking three coats is going to be the kicker. Hope to have a photo of the thing in its new natural habitat before the weekend is over, even if it is somewhat staged.

• Like 1

OK, I'm sticking a fork in this one. As promised, here are the 'after' photos:

72d4812ce65e6dd16dee2b75bdd29f5e.jpg

345191315b97242f967e9bf6f51fbb08.jpg

And finally, one in its natural habitat:

45d9dbbb901e26432327734c54c7a2bd.jpg

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement along the way. Sculpting, like segmented turning, is a great way to use offcuts and scraps, and it was a lot of fun.

Finish is 6 coats of Watco natural, ragged on liberally, sanded with 400 grit, then wiped back. 12 hrs between coats. It was dry to touch for these photos, but I expect to do a final buffing in a week or two, maybe even a little wax to brighten the sheen.

• Like 1

Yeah, Vinny, Watco is pretty nice, except for the wait. For 'stress free' on a tight schedule, I like to do a sort of french polish with very thin shellac. Or get all Mere-Mortals on it, and whip out my can of spray lacquer!

'Sanding in' the danish oil sure leaves an awesome feel to the wood, glad I tried it.

• Like 2