Hello from Woodstock, Georgia

FtrPilot

My name is Randy...I live in Woodstock, Georgia, northwest of Atlanta. I am fully retired and playing through life. I spent 20 years in the Air Force, most of that flying F-4 Phantoms.  After the Air Force, I spent 19 years in the defense industry, in a variety of positions. The last 8 years, I was a program manager.  Throughout both careers, I travelled the globe. I have lived in the UK, South Korea, Thailand, and numerous states (Texas, Arizona, Utah, North Carolina, Virginia, Florida, and Georgia), and have travelled extensively in the US, Europe, Canada, and India.  After I retired, my wife and I took a 46 day vacation to New Zealand and Australia...had a fabulous time.

My active interests include golf, trout fishing (mostly in Wisconsin), bird hunting, trap/skeet/sporting clays, and woodworking. I am relatively new to woodworking, about 3 years. I started in a friend's basement, building wall cabinets for my garage. I had so much fun, I decided to accumulate tools and set up my own shop.  Unfortunately, I don't have a basement, so my shop is in my garage and severely space limited.

My current woodworking project is a Benchcrafted Split-Top Roubo, which is why I joined the forum.  In the next couple of days, I plan to start a thread in that section of the forum, to describe my project, and solicit advice.

Welcome Randy, and thanks for being one of America's finest and thanks for that!  I'm envious of your next build, if I built that for my shop, I wouldn't be able to enter the place, it's smaller than a one car garage... But I'm going to enjoy your build.

Sounds like you've lived an interesting life, Randy.  Good to have you aboard.  Tee hee...see what I did there?

A number of us have built the Roubo, myself included, and several others always seem to be building at any given time.  Don't hesitate to ask questions.

P.S. Far out, man.  Woodstock is groovy.  I thought it was in New York, though. :unsure:

Welcome Randy. I moved to Acworth back in the eighties. Lived on Bells Ferry Rd. Right under the flight path at Dobbins. Used to be a great place in Roswell called Buffalos. Many a night spent there gobbling down wings and pitchers of Killians. Moved back to Illinois after my Mom passed in 86. Really enjoyed Georgia.

To all...Thanks for the warm welcome.

To all the Roubo enthusiasts, I will post pictures in the Roubo section as I progress. I look forward to your comments and answers, as I am sure I will have some questions.  I will post an update to this thread when I start my Roubo thread.

To wdwerker...I have checked out your web site and will be contacting you via PM to discuss my kitchen.

To TerryMcK...I just got back from the UK 5 days ago.  My wife is from Sheffield. We were there celebrating her Dad's 90th birthday.  I hope I make it to 90. We usually fly into and out of the Manchester Airport, which, I believe, is close to you.

To Eric...It's great to be aboard.  Triple entendre.

To woodbutcher74...nice fish. We certainly have something in common, in addition to woodworking.  Perhaps we could start a sub-topic under off-topic titled "Fish Stories." Also, wings and beer are my favorite.  However, Killians would be my second choice. First choice is Guinness.

Regards,

Randy

DBA FtrPilot