Grinding/clipping/sawing off protruding nails

Niku

DanielAG,

I don't see the message I sent you  few minutes ago, but it's  now out-of-date. I just called Multi-Fit blades to see if there was a metal-cutting blade designed to be used with my Chicago Tools oscillating tool. There is, a titanium one, and I ordered two of them. I don't know if they've always been available, but I couldn't find anything when I searched for them several years ago. In any event, I'm now going to hold off on buying a $150 replacement tool until I see how well my Chicago Tool oscillating tool works with the new blades.

• 2 weeks later...

Put me down in the sawzall camp. It's very important to not skimp on blades, and also to not overheat the blade. I frequently cut 5/8" thick hard steel rod with one, so it definitely can do just about any bolt you'll find.

Which blade do you use to do that?

Which blade do you use to do that?

I've had luck with the Milwaukee and Dewalt bi metal blades designed for metal. Those ones you have to be sure to keep cool, since you can ruin the temper of the teeth just like you can ruin the temper of a chisel.

There's also carbide toothed (not carbide GRIT) blades out there. Diablo makes one specifically for nail embedded wood (for demolition and the like) and there's also finer tooth versions for just metal.

I'm usual cutting the loops in a van floor that the stow-and-go seats hook on to (RV conversion business) so you know it's some pretty tough steel.

I've had luck with the Milwaukee and Dewalt bi metal blades designed for metal. Those ones you have to be sure to keep cool, since you can ruin the temper of the teeth just like you can ruin the temper of a chisel.

There's also carbide toothed (not carbide GRIT) blades out there. Diablo makes one specifically for nail embedded wood (for demolition and the like) and there's also finer tooth versions for just metal.

I'm usual cutting the loops in a van floor that the stow-and-go seats hook on to (RV conversion business) so you know it's some pretty tough steel.

Thanks for the information. I bought a Sawzall blade at Home Depot, but it didn't pass the nail-cutting test I gave it.  It could be that it wasn't their best blade. It is for  metal, but maybe they make a better blade that was not in the display. Anyway, you have opened my eyes. Dumb me had thought that only a Sawzall blade would fit, but now I see that there are other choices. It looks to me as if the best place to look would be the Sawzall website, or maybe Amazon. By the way, I just looked at my blade, and I now see that it is a Milwaukee Sawzall blade. I'll also be looking into the Diablo blade. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks for the information. I bought a Sawzall blade at Home Depot, but it didn't pass the nail-cutting test I gave it.  It could be that it wasn't their best blade. It is for  metal, but maybe they make a better blade that was not in the display. Anyway, you have opened my eyes. Dumb me had thought that only a Sawzall blade would fit, but now I see that there are other choices. It looks to me as if the best place to look would be the Sawzall website, or maybe Amazon. By the way, I just looked at my blade, and I now see that it is a Milwaukee Sawzall blade. I'll also be looking into the Diablo blade. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I  went shopping on Amazon. I found  bi-metal blades made by several manufacturers. The interesting thing was that they all got such high ratings. The most common praise was, "like a hot knife through butter," and they were talking about cutting metal. I was about to buy a set when I saw the following clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m7B_JNInqI. I then decided to buy a Freud Diablo carbide tipped blade. I don't know about the "Freud" part, but I guess it simply reflects a merger or buyout. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new blade. It looks like a revolution in saw blades.

I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EXO8LK

They are small and do a great job, but they won't cut a nail flush to the wood. There are angled versions though, but I don't think they will do that either.

+1 on this, knipex mini bolt cutters. It can't cut flush, but it'll be the fastest easiest cleanest. This is one hella nice tool.

2nd choice is the oscillating multitool. Oshlun are another reasonable price good quality brand for blades. If you're cutting a bunch, bosch has carbide toothed blades, will last a lot longer.

But the mini bolt cutter is awesome!

• Like 1

"If I had known then what I know now....". And your note adds even more valuable information. I thought I had explored the subject sufficiently, but somehow I overlooked MINI bolt cutters, and they are obviously the tool of choice. I think  that the cutting pliers (DeWalt) I now have will be sufficient for the job I will be using them for; if not, I now know what to replace them with. In fact, I'm going to buy a set  now, although not the Kneipex. The Kneipex tools are a bit pricy, and it may be that cheaper tools will do the job. I'm going to buy the Tekton 3386 8" Heavy-Duty Mini Bolt and Wire Cutter for $9.25. Although it's made in China, it might be a good buy. It's worth the gamble. In Amazon's reviews, it has 249 5-stars and 15 1-star reviews, while none of Kneipex's many models have even one 1-star review. Mostly, they're 5-stars.Anyway, if the Tekton fails, I'll be back for one of the Kneipex models, but there are so many to choice from. Well, that’s a smaller problem. Oh, yes, Kneipex sells a model with angled blades. This makes it easier to get close to a flush cut.

As to the oscillating machine, I don't remember if I found the Bosch carbide toothed blades. If I did, I guess I decided that buying a Bosch saw so that I could use these blades would uneconomical. Thanks for your information.  I forgot (well,I am 77) that I did purchase a carbide-tipped blade for my Chicago Oscillating tool, but it disappointed me. I did manage to cut through two #10 screws, but it was definitely not like "cutting through butter" as so many people like to say. It was tough going. Somewhere else I speculated that maybe a more powerful oscillating tool would have made a difference. In fact, I'm going to see now if I can attach the blade to one of my reciprocating saws. That would not be practical for where I'm going to be working, but it would give the blade a fairer test.